Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Approach- Pull Pans/Twin engines/or Large Dozers?

samson09 ยท 2013-10-23 09:57

trying to make an efficient game plan here- digging a 250x250x10 pond with poly liner. Details: No export-spoils to be used for berm and small access road fill (close-approx. 100-150' from pond). No boring logs. Existing is pretty flat, lots of room to turn around/maneuver-pond built on farm land. Probability for frost is probable but minor. Time frame for completion-3-4 weeks. Would the most efficient way be scrapers (if so paddles or twins like a 627- and how many for that time frame)? Or would pulls pans an/or large dozer(s) be better? Any input would be much appreciated!

Replies15
  1. #1Trashman2013-10-23 11:56

    Just my opinion....use a dozer for anything under 300 feet. The scraper guys will be along any minute to tell you the oposite. LOL

  2. #2Dozerboy2013-10-23 16:12

    Whatever you have for equipment... I have done lots of pond like this with dozers, scrapers, and trackhoes they all work. Are you digging 10' foot down or are you digging a few feet and building it up to a depth of 10'?

  3. #3vapor3002013-10-24 20:39

    A pair of 27's would knock that out in a week! I dont know the yardage but we had a close haul like that before and were averaging 5k yards a day

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-10-24 21:10

    Yair . . . A bit quiet on this thread. I reckon vapor300 is pretty much on the money only I cant get my head around working a couple of 27's in a puddle hole like that! I mean to say, it's only eighty odd yards square at the top and presumably there's batters . . . probably around twenty thousand yards. Tank sinking and swapping ropes onto the ripper every floor with Allis 21's I have done about a thousand yards a day so I reckon a 250-300hp crawler and a 15-18 yard scoop and Bobs your uncle. No big deal to push it out with the blade though. Depending on the tractor its probably only ten slots wide plus the rills. It would be a nice little job if the digging is reasonable. Cheers.

  5. #5powerjoke2013-10-24 21:58

    16k yd at that distance I would use a dozer, 3-4 weeks is leaving allowing 2-3weeks for breakdowns and coffee breaks lol. I would throw a d7h and a 615C at it if it was my job but that's just because that's what I have avail to me. At that distance you could move 1k per day with 613 pretty easy, depending on slopes you are going to need a dozer anyways so I would recommend just renting a 6T or 7R or something and see how you get along Pj

  6. #6samson092013-10-24 22:26

    digging down 10' from existing

  7. #7samson092013-10-24 22:33

    [QUOTE= " depending on slopes you are going to need a dozer anyways "- good point- slopes are to be 2:1

  8. #8samson092013-10-24 22:37

    - Digging down 10' from existing topo...berms to be 2:1. Entrance pipe into pond coming up and over the berm, exit pipe exiting through and out of the bottom of the berm.

  9. #9d9gdon2013-10-25 10:04

    i'd just rent a D8R or D8T preferably with a U-blade and then bring in a small dozer at the end to finish with. It's only 19,600 yards... Any need for compaction?

  10. #10buckfever2013-10-25 17:01

    We do things a little different. Like pj said with the equipment we have would a 330 excavator, 2 A35 trucks, 815 compactor or smooth drum roller depending on soil conditions, and a d5 to grade everything up. We don't run scrapers so I cann't help on how effective those would be.

  11. #11ShaneK2013-10-25 17:52

    I'd suggest calling the guys over at Worldwide Rental Services for earthmoving equipment/advice. They have a couple of Colorado outlets and could probably hook you up with some large pull-pan scrapers to efficiently knock out your project to minimize your rental payment. http://www.wrsrents.com/WRS/WRSDefault.aspx

  12. #12Greg2013-10-25 21:00

    Trashman, You are right. Here come the scraper guys. I would hook up pans behind D8's around here and go at it. Never pushed here at all with dozer over a few feet. We hooked up and went with Cats and pans no matter what the distance. Cut and haul 20 yards beat pushing a whole lot less with the blade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

  13. #13ktrent2013-10-26 10:38

    To think this is a push job is just silly. Pan it. I would use 2 621s and a D8. But that's just a suggestion. Sent into space with tapatalk

  14. #14Scrub Puller2013-10-26 14:54

    Yair . . . Sure are some different theories but, as I said the hole is less than one hundred yards square. Single drive scrapers would move the top dirt okay but would struggle up the batters and, if it was a bit greasy, they'd need the D8 up their arse. Here in Australia there are other factors. The cheapest way to move the dirt maybe with a tractor drawn scraper but what if the job was at the far end of a station three hundred miles from town? Under those circumstances, on a whole cost of job basis nothing will work better than a dozer with an angle blade and a decent set of rippers . . . single operator with his pick-up and fuel/service trailer camping on the site. Cheers.

  15. #15samson092013-10-28 21:57

    Great feedback guys- thanks, keep um coming. Initially I thought one 627 and a D8. With the dozer I figured a guys could push as well as finish the slopes...waiting on compaction specs- I would think with a poly liner the specs will not be as tight as it is an impervious barrier.