Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

apron feeder vs vibratory feeder?

denalidigger ยท 2015-01-07 16:34

We just started crushing our own limestone and have a pioneer jaw with cedar rapids apron feeder. It's old but runs our well. I have been hearing apron feeders are not that great and vibratory feeders are the way to go.. any input would be great!

Replies8
  1. #1clintm2015-01-07 20:33

    I've never run an apron feeder but do run vibratory feeder's .If the material has high moister the vibratory will stick .If your apron feeder is working fine just keep using it if you keep an eye out you can sometimes pick up a feeder at auction. are you having a problem with yours?

  2. #2denalidigger2015-01-07 20:44

    Only real problem is sprocket and bolts keep breaking.. trying to figure out why right now.. we grease and keep oil in... it feeds slow and we don't "push" it.... I was just told apron feeders are more expensive to fix.. makes sense on material sticking to vibratory if high moisture.. thanks

  3. #3clintm2015-01-07 20:47

    what size of jaw. the bolt is shearing that holds the sprocket on the shaft? is it a good tight fit or loose

  4. #4denalidigger2015-01-07 20:50

    It is 13x36 I believe. It is tight fit and we just bought heavy grade bolts.. broke one but good on this one for couple weeks now. The sprocket that broke looked newer, key way may be worn?? It's 30 below so to cold to mess with now but I did find a sprocket so time will tell.

  5. #5clintm2015-01-07 20:54

    that's crushing run's good for a couple days then a lll:soapbox breaks loose

  6. #6denalidigger2015-01-07 20:57

    I'm finding that out.. ohhh well, if it was easy everybody would do it....

  7. #7theironoracle2015-01-07 21:24

    It is simple really, more moving parts i.e. pins, bushings, rollers, sprockets and idlers, will always be more cost per ton/unit than less parts, which there are many less parts in a VGF and 90% of those don't even touch material!. However apron feeders have there place and there is no reason to replace something that works fine and doesn't brake, this does not seem to be your case, so when replacement comes you will have to weigh your options. The math is this. Lets say your complete jaw plant costs you $1 ton to operate and 10 cents of that is your apron feeder, lets say you can operate a VGF for 5 cents and you crush 100,000 tons in a year that is $5,000 less cost per year! i think these numbers could be close to actual costs. Would this make the payments on a new VGF with just the savings?........TIO

  8. #8grandpa2015-01-07 22:35

    Yes ,,, I'd hate to have to go back to an apron feeder. I owned a Universal jaw with a whale back apron feed.... flights would get bent amongst other problems.... went to a new cedarapids vibrator driven with a Torq spec drive..... been trouble free for many years. I would almost bet you have a bent shaft on one of the ends causing your problems.