Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are 953a and 963a transmissions interchangable

Junk runner · 2019-03-04 20:04

I was curious does anyone know if 953a and 963a transmissions are interchangeable.

Replies14
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-03-05 00:39

    I highly doubt it but someone more knowledgeable should be along to confirm.

  2. #2Cmark2019-03-05 02:04

    Short answer; no.

  3. #3Junk runner2019-03-05 15:12

    Ok they looked similar so I wasn’t sure. I appreciate the info.

  4. #4Cmark2019-03-05 15:34

    Operationally they are identical but the 963 unit is physically bigger.

  5. #5Junk runner2019-03-05 15:46

    Sounds like a definite no way then unless I come up with a transmission Shriner.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2019-03-05 20:02

    A 963 has a separate pump drive between the engine and trans and it is larger

  7. #7Junk runner2019-03-05 22:40

    I just bought a 97 973 with a bad engine knock. I haven’t even gotten it home from Dallas yet. Does it have a similar transmission as the 53 and 63.

  8. #8Cmark2019-03-06 00:06

    Similar but with two-speed motors *Edit. Scratch that. Specify model number or serial number. Year of manufacture means nothing in Cat land.*

  9. #9Junk runner2019-03-06 00:39

    86g03276

  10. #10Cmark2019-03-06 01:18

    Right first time. Similar but with two-speed motors

  11. #11Junk runner2019-03-06 08:01

    I didn’t run it much because I didn’t want to damage the engine anymore. Do the motors shift by themselves as you go?

  12. #12Cmark2019-03-06 15:14

    Yes. The motors are normally in high speed. If the drive pressure goes above 3300psi they will shift to low speed.

  13. #13Junk runner2019-03-06 19:39

    Are these generally dependable machines. I didn’t do a lot of research on them because I got a good deal on it and I can fix the motor myself so I won’t have a lot in it.

  14. #14Cmark2019-03-07 00:02

    If they have been properly maintained and looked after then, yes. But that's a big "if". The 73s are a fairly big tractor and got put to work on the big jobs where they sometimes didn't get a lot of lovin'. The 43s and 53s seem to last forever in the right hands.