Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are Cat C series loader cabs all the same?

CM1995 ยท 2011-11-06 10:43

I think all the BBX C series cabs are the same (953,963,973) size but just wanted to confirm. Specifically, will a Cat front window screen for a 973 BBX C series fit a 953C BBX? I have one part number "Support AS - R 5Q-8813". Thanks in advance for any info.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2011-11-06 18:18

    Unfortunately for you they are not all the same. For all 953C BBX-prefix the windshield glass Part Number is 190-3361. 973C cannot also be BBX prefix. You have 3 choices - BCP, LDX, & 3RZ. For BCP & LDX prefix machines the front glass is the same 190-3361 as above. For 3RZ prefix machine the front glass is a 125-7971. So be careful. 5Q-8813 is a hinge used on the debris screen for the RH side of the cab on 953C (2ZN1750-UP) & 963C (2DS-prefix) Track Loaders. Totally different machines to what you're asking about. Co-incidentally both 2ZN1740-UP & 2DS1-Up prefix machines use the 125-7971 front glass in the cab, which won't fit yours.

  2. #2CM19952011-11-07 06:37

    Thanks for the reply Nige, a front screen is what I am interested in. I was in a hurry yesterday posting this as I walked out the door and didn't give all the info. There is a screen that the seller says fits a 963C that I am looking at for my 953C. The only part number I have, was the one I posted above. So am I correct in assuming the screen itself that fits on the hinge (5Q-8813) is also for the same series of 953C's and 963C's? So the screen hinges on the right and closes with rubber handles on the left. It also looks like it is easily removed when not needed by removing 2 snap rings and lifting it off it's hinges. Another question, will the front screen fit when the machine has lights and a light guard or will it need to be modified (cut down) ? If it does need to be "modified" to swing underneath the lights and light guard that's not a real problem, I have a good welder/fabricator around. I used my '53C for clearing and demo work, hence my interest in a front screen. Currently I don't have a large hoe, so the track loader is the next batter up. Thanks again Nige for the help!

  3. #3Nige2011-11-07 08:00

    Sorry for going off on a tangent - I didn't read your post closely, and my mind said "windscreen", to me not "Screen". Of course in "Queen's English" a windscreen is what you Colonials charmingly refer to as a "windshield". I gave you Part Numbers for the windshield glass, not the wire screen ......... my bad. The screen that the seller has is equipped with the 5Q-8813 Hinge Assy and he says it came from a 963C. That makes sense, it's listed as fitting the 963C 2DS-prefix machine. It pivots from one side and is fixed at the other side by a rubber latch and a hook-type support. Basically this screen arrangement is in 2 parts, an upper part that protects the lights and a lower part that covers the windshield glass. The screen for a 963C BBX-prefix is completely different (it's all in one piece to start with, not 2 as per above) and it mounts in a totally different way to the one you're being offered. I would hazard a guess that your BBX cab will not have the threaded holes in it in the correct location to pick up on the guard from the 2DS machine. Could the one you're being offered be made to fit ..? If you have enough time and access to welding equipment I would guess so, but Parts drawings are not necessarily to scale so it's hard to say one way or another. It is not a simple bolt-on job, that's for certain. PM me an e-mail address and I'll fire you off the Parts Listings for both so you can see the difference.

  4. #4CM19952011-11-07 20:01

    LOL Nige, I didn't think about the terminology of a "windscreen" to you guys across the pond and the particular screen I am looking at. Had ya' confused there. So what I am looking at is a metal screen that is basically the shape I need to protect the windshield glass but the mounting hardware to the ROPS is different. Am I correct in assuming that? I dropped the belly pans and washed a few years of gunk out of the '53 today, so I took a close look at the threaded "studs" (for lack of a better word) that were installed at the factory on the upright posts on either side of the windsheild. There are two studs on either side of the ROPS post that make up the front end of the cab, one at the top and one at the bottom. The metal light guard is attached to the two upper studs. It looks to me with a little time and fabrication I could make the hinge work. If I am the winning bidder with the price I bid, then I have some extra dollars in there to spend on making it work - especially if you compare it to a new one from the Cat house. Nige, thanks a lot for the help:drinkup. A PM is on it's way.

  5. #5CM19952011-11-16 19:17

    Well I was busy doing an actual paying job and couldn't be online to raise my priority bid, last Friday. Oh well next time. Thanks for all the help Nige.:drinkup