I have an onsite equipment repair business. My current truck is an 04 F550 4x4 4dr 6.0 With the unreliability of the newer trucks that I have been experiencing I have been contemplating finding an older truck and build it up. What are the pros and cons? Thanks JJ
the usual find a solid truck thats not all rigged up to get by. Has a good motor trans transfercase brakes no leaks. personally i like older trucks parts are cheap and you dont need a computer to diagnose whats wrong. i would go with a 90's era chevy personally parts are readily available and resonable. that or a 12 valve cummins dodge.
Thanks, I'm a Ford guy myself and have a 97 F350 4x4 that I use to pick up parts in or just to run around. I was thinking of getting another to build into a work truck. It would be a 95-97 F350 4x4 4dr or possibly extenda cab. Was thinking that I would atleast do 4 wheel brakes, 4 wheel bearings if it is a high mileage truck and then have all the body work done and have it painted to look nice. I just picked up another utility bed that has a crane kit in it so I could mount my crane. Just trying to decide weather to put it on the F550 I'm using now or go ahead and build another truck. JJ
Something the same size your running I would look at a international with a mechanical dt 466. I have always ran smaller single wheels, my favorite is my 90 f250 4x4 7.3 idi 5spd. 15mpg, rides nice, big enough to pull a trailer and small enough to run around town. I'm looking for a service box for it now, ran it for eight years, paid 4k, the box is just shot. Bought a 97 f350 to take its place for a bit. Also paid 4k, nice truck but gas powerd. 10mpg no power, but nice wide box with small crane. The duel rear wheel and heavy springs are nice, but I feel like a old man if I spend much of my day driving.
You didn't mention whether you prefer gas or diesel Hardline.
All of my trucks are diesel. I have just somewhat lost faith in the new diesel engines that are on the market right now and am thinking of building up an older one probably a 7.3. Just do not want to pull up on jobsites with an older truck and have customers thinking I'm a shade tree mechanic even if the truck is all painted up and looking nice. I know it sounds dumb but just a fear of mine.
Got it. I agree with you, not fond of the newer trucks. I, myself, wouldn't have a problem driving an older vehicle. As long as it's in sound mechaincal condition and looks like it's taken care of, I don't think its age is detrimental. Given a preference, I would tend to stay away from high mileage models of the mid 90's. Although you can pick one up at an affordable price, when you get around the 200,000 mile range, your likely looking at doing service on the HEUI injectors, or at least the o-rings on the injectors. I prefer the 7.3 of early 2000. I think 2002, maybe 2003 was the last years they offered the old 7.3 stroke. Last service truck I had at former job was a 2002, it seemed to be an improved engine compared to the mid 90's engine. Was very pleased with it. And if you do much traveling, I'd stay with the F-350 instead of the bigger GVWR trucks, such as 450 and 550. The gear ratio's in the bigger trucks produce "Gee This Thing Sucks" fuel mileage. Just a few thoughts.
My old truck is family ,everyone knows her as Whitey ..475,000 and still rockin ..Its an 83 C3o Chevorlet I built in 93 with custom bed and tool boxes ..Wished I could figure out how topost a pic .. About 2 years ago I got the bug for a new truck .I found Excatly what i wanted an 04 KW T300 Maintainer Body all the ringers bells whistles that a man could want ...Well I got my money together and headed 3 hours to go get it ..Long story short I got to the dealer and came home without it ..60,000 dollars is alot to me so the whole ride I kept thinking what else I could use my money on .. Besides like I said Whitey is family ..Also Trucks are like women " them big shiney rides need alot of pampering You wouldn't dare take one down an old dirt road "...
All good points. The 97 that I have for a run around town has 319K on it. The F550 has 185K. I typically put on about 30K a year between the two. The 97 gets 18MPG while the F550 get 10. And yea the last year of the 7.3 was early 03. I had a fire engine red one that I sold because it was a short bed 4dr and I could not put a service bed on the truck. I might do some looking for an 02 or 03 low mileage 7.3. Only problem with them is they are high dollar because everyone else is looking for them also. LOL Pictures of what I'm using currently.
Good luck finding a 7.3 with a utility and low miles! I looked for 4 months and couldnt find one to replace my 03 f450 6.0L. If you do find one be prepared to pay dearly. I ended up buying a Chevy crew cab duramax because i couldnt find a 7.3 and i WILL NOT buy another 6.0L!!! Lesser of two evils i guess.
Yeah I have another bed that is ready to go. Just need to decide what to do with it. New truck, older truck, or the truck I'm currently using. I have an Auto Crane 4004 EH that I would like to start using. The bed I currently use does not have a crane kit in it. The bed I just bought does. JJ
Try Ritchie Bros, or maybe try magnum truck here in Ohio. They have hundreds of heavy trucks. Also, maybe try Texas truck center, they always have alot of trucks too.
i dont know how you drive them big things around, wouldnt you be better with a service truck like the attached images? Cheers, Nick
Look at it this way, which mechanic is better at his craft? The guy who has to buy a new truck every year or two, or the guy who is still showing up in his 20 year old service truck with the spiffy paint job? Alex.
That sure is one good point Alex!
Most of the mechanics that I know are rolling around in 5-15 year old rigs. To me the truck is transportation, as long as its dependable that is what matters. Fwiw, I have a 97' f-350 w/ just shy of 300k that gets 19 mpg. Its a 4x4 reg cab, long bed, single wheel, auto & 7.3 turbo & no it isnt for sale.
Around here we don't care about the Mechanics' Truck.It's the Mechanic that counts.I have seen them drive brand new trucks.Usually because a Company pays for it.I have seen some drive trucks that makes you wonder how they got to the job.But they have lots of tools.Plus they are good at the job.Esperance counts more than the truck.
If I was hiring a mechanic to fix something of mine, I would feel better if someone showed up driving an older truck that was redone versus a new truck with all the bells and whistles. It would show me that he knew what he was doing and didn't just throw money at things to make them work. I also wouldn't fear that I was gonna' get "raped" because Super Mechanic has a truck payment.:cool2
When the economy is bad people loved seeing me come out with my shiny old service truck. Never have had a service truck payment, was able to charge less than the rest and that's what kept me going thru the early years. When everybody is making money your not that smart for driving a old truck and your not the hero anymore.
Most guys have new service trucks because the one he just replaced it with is worn out. If you are a good mechanic and are busy there usually isnt much time to work on your truck. I would rather be out making money then worrying about waxing my service truck.
Utility body is a must. Rather than try to find a truck with utility body on it I just bought a body and am pulling pickup box off of 99 Ford F350 withj a 7.3 liter powerstroke and a 6 speed manual. That is another problem. No automatics in trucks around here. Nothing but bad experience with the only one I had and won't go there again. If I was going to set up a bigger rig it would be with a Mack R model single axle with utility body and crane. Would look for one with a E6 or E7 300 engine and pray from a 10 speeed fuller in it. This truck would also be big enough to outfit with a good sized welder and air compressor too.
There has been a trend around here of using retired single axle OTR trucks and if you can find an air ride thats even better . Big trucks don't change a lot so the fear of looking dated is a non factor .Just another thought .
My 2 cents; I would find a truck and then a body it seems a lot of people buy older service trucks and sh-can their bodies to make flatbeds or dumps out of. If you're going to stay in the 1 ton range I would look for a Super Duty for the simple fact they are heavier built then the F350. You can find them, it just sometimes requires a little of research. Ritchie Bros is alright but you're taking a chance like buying anything else used. I'd monitor Craigslist myself or check out some local tractor/equipment dealerships that might have something laying around. I have seen nice service bodies going for 500 bucks or scrap price because someone bought the truck for a different application. If you go with a larger truck like it was probably already mentioned your license, insurance, etc. will cost you more. As far as the "shiny" syndrome it is nice, but it's not a sure seller. I rather pay a mechanic who can work on stuff and not one who is worried about getting his truck dirty.