Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are the 17.5-25 Wheels the same for 140M 140H 140K Graders

2machine · 2021-10-29 18:16

Hi, I would like to stock some 17.5-25 Wheels and Tires for 140 graders. We see lots of 14.00-24 Tires in market but customers want 17.5-25 Tires. Does any one know if it's the same for 140M 140H and 140K graders? Thanks Jack

Replies26
  1. #1ovrszd2021-10-29 19:31

    Hopefully NIGE will see this. He'd know for sure. DEERE changed their bolt pattern with one of their model changes. And the front wheels on the AWD models are different than the rear wheels. Not sure about CAT. Hopefully someone will chime in and answer your question definitively.

  2. #2Nige2021-10-30 05:29

    Same for Cat. Front rims on AWD machines are a different Part Number to the rims on the tandems. Non-AWD machines use the same rim Part Number for all six wheel positions. Having had a bit of a dig into the system there are no less than 7 different 14 x 25 wheel rim Part Numbers (for 17.5R25 tyres) used across the 140 range starting from the H model, through K & M (including M2 & M3), up to the latest 2021-model 140 with no suffix letter. I can see no cross-references across the 7 numbers so therefore I assume that each of them is in some way different to the others.

  3. #3ovrszd2021-10-30 10:14

    Some day I hope to talk to a design engineer and have him explain to me why they do that....... I understand the difference in the AWD wheels front to rear. I do not understand changing bolt patterns, etc..... Thanks as always for great info Nige!!!!

  4. #4Nige2021-10-30 10:59

    I guess what you have to bear in mind is that the seven different Part Numbers I mentioned cover a time frame of something around 30 years...... Also I need to stress that just because one Part Number does not service to another in the system it doesn't necessarily mean that the two parts won't be interchangeable on a machine.

  5. #5ovrszd2021-10-30 19:23

    So for Jack, he needs to inspect them and take measurements to determine whether they will interchange or not.

  6. #6John C.2021-10-30 20:03

    A 17.5/25 or a 17.5R25 are tires sizes and not wheel sizes. Just like a 29.5/25 is a tire size. It's 25 inch wheel but a different width. The wheels you purchase to mount those tires on depend on the width across the wheel in order to safely mount the tire on the wheel. Wheels come in many configurations such as make of machine and number of ring components. If you talk to the tire guys or pull down their specification manuals you will find that those sources provide the technical aspects of what you need. An all wheel drive has a final drive that the wheel has to mount around, so there would have to be a different kind of wheel than what is mounted on the back of the machine.

  7. #7Nige2021-10-31 04:53

    Sorry I should have mentioned that I filtered the results specifically for 14” wide 25” diameter rims that were included in the BOM for all the locations that specified a 17.5R25 tyre fitment.

  8. #8Nige2021-10-31 06:54

    I should also maybe have mentioned that for all the 140 range from the H model to the present day there are only two available factory wheel rim options regarding rim size (as opposed to Part Number): - 1. 10" x 24" designed for 14.00x24 or 14.00R24 tyres. 2. 14" x 25" designed for 17.5R25 tyres.

  9. #9ovrszd2021-10-31 11:11

    Thanks again Nige for great input!!!

  10. #102machine2021-11-01 12:30

    Thank you very much guys! I know it's different part number, will try to figure out if they can fit on each other. I should know later this week, will keep you guys updated.

  11. #11Welder Dave2021-11-02 12:53

    I'm guessing 13:00 x 24 tires fit the same rims as 14:00x 24 tires? It would cost a lot to have to change all of the rims too. I don't know how I'll feel or what the temps. will be like when I get out of the cancer center but getting my new tires and rims converted is on the high priority list. No way I could do it the way I feel now. Run over by a bus is an understatement. I'm totally drained and can't swallow anything. It's even worse if I get out of bed.

  12. #12Nige2021-11-02 16:24

    According to the earthmover tyre manuals a 13.00x24 tyre is typically mounted on an 8" wide rim rather than 10" wide.

  13. #13Welder Dave2021-11-02 17:15

    I've seen it different ways. 8",9" and 10" for 13:00 tires so maybe it's not too big of a deal??? Maybe OEM's have experimented to come up with their own specs. My trator has 14.9 x 24 tires but one of the old ones had 14.9 x 24 and 13:00x 24 on it or 14.9 x 24 on 13" rims. It had 1 tire from GB on it and 1 from the states. It's a UK model MF135. They brought them to Canada to keep up with demand.

  14. #14ovrszd2021-11-02 18:39

    Sorry for your struggles Dave. Prayers for recovery.

  15. #15Welder Dave2021-11-03 09:33

    I'm doing better but having some bad side effects since they put me back on steroid chemo meds. Hearing music and IV machine beeping that isn't there. Didn't sleep much last night.

  16. #16ovrszd2021-11-03 10:22

    Bummer Dave. Prayers for relief.

  17. #17Welder Dave2021-11-03 13:43

    Hoping Debi gets here soon with her laptop. My eyes get really blurry and I can't read.

  18. #182machine2021-11-03 22:12

    Hi guys, I checked with my sources, M series uses 2520112 rims, and H/K series uses 1426229 Rims, and they are interchangable.

  19. #19Welder Dave2021-11-04 02:04

    Would it be better to just use 1 part number? Cat can have over a dozen for the same thing and the prices aren't always same either. Not sure the reason.

  20. #2020/802021-11-04 04:41

    Sorry to hear this Dave, all the best for a quick recovery, you can contact me anytime for a good chat.

  21. #21ovrszd2021-11-04 09:28

    Deere is currently changing most of their part numbers. Who knows why. Currently there are two different part numbers for the engine oil filter on our machine. I've even saw one number on the box and a different number on the filter inside the box.....

  22. #22Welder Dave2021-11-04 11:13

    My Cat shows 2 filters for the serial number and they are different. It's the later filter where most of the time the serial number is all you need. I always make sure so I don't waste a couple hours having to go back and exchange for the other filter.

  23. #23Tinkerer2021-11-04 12:09

    "Deere is currently changing most of their part numbers. Who knows why. Currently there are two different part numbers for the engine oil filter on our machine. I've even saw one number on the box and a different number on the filter inside the box....." That is kinda scary. What if some bozo parts guy had a couple boxes of filters out and opened them up and then put wrong filters in their respective boxes. Or, someone took it home and intentional swapped the the filter and then returned it.

  24. #24ovrszd2021-11-04 18:36

    As far as I have experienced, it's the same filter. They are just in the midst of changing numbers for whatever reason......

  25. #25Welder Dave2021-11-04 19:00

    What is the price difference? Could be a different micron size or something.

  26. #2620/802021-11-06 17:34

    All our 140g, 140h, 140m, 12m2 run the 14.00r 24 with multi piece rim, my 150 runs 17.5R 25 with multi piece rim, there is a big difference in the tires and the rims between the two sizes.