One of my guys recently got into an accident with my truck and trailer. 100% not at fult as the other guy ran a stop sing. There was damage to my truck and trailer. The insurance is going to cover the repair bill of the truck. But not the trailer, as I had no insurance on the trailer. I was always under the impression that the trailer was coverd under the truck while being pulled. Everyone I have been talking to thought the same as me. Is my insurance giving me the run around?
No, for collision coverage you must have a policy specifically for the trailer. In most cases, for liability only, the trailer is covered under the truck pulling it.
That's my understanding as well. Trailers are $10 for the registration. Insurance is carried by the truck pulling it. I've had trucks in accidents and MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) has always covered it. As a side note, what happens with trailer damage while it's parked in a yard not hooked to a truck? Would that then be covered under the general business inruance policy? (We were talking about this the other day.) Andrew
In the US it's like mowingman said, but of course Canada is different. What is Manitoba Public Insurance?
What's the deal? Do you guys have "no fault insurance" up there? Down here, if the other guy is at fault, his insurance would be paying for repairs on both the truck and trailer.:beatsme Tim
A fellow in the yard beside where I work had a trailer stolen a few months ago, he thought bummer, but it's insured, and he did have it insured to the hilt. Unfortunately in his fine print it said it had to be hooked to his truck to be insured. Thankfully for him, they recovered the trailer a few weeks ago! In BC, you have to have insurance on the trailer as far as I remember but it's been 8 years since I've insured anything in BC...
Well Digger, how are you doing with trailer? My agent claims i need to pay manitory 25% extra of the liabilty of tow vehicle....per trailer!!! i would be ok with paying extra premium for towing, but for each trailer thats BS! But like all insurance...i scream and yell...and pay And about $150 yr for colision which is elective, ie don't have to have. Ya Ontario went "No Fault" years ago. But other guy was at fault why do we have pay? A call to lawyer might be worth $ , if much damage.
Yes, Ontario is a no-fault province. And as I recently learned, while the insurance company will assign fault, they no longer go after the other insurance company for damages even if the other driver is at-fault. I had a car written off recently much to my protest, and got "enlightened" by the insurance appraiser as to how things go now (the last collision I was involved in (also not my fault) was before no-fault came to be, and you could almost feel the glee my insurance felt when they found out the guy who hit me back then was insured by another company and everything got repaired with damages much worse than what I had now. Alex.
In Manitoba, MPI handles all vehicle registrations, insurance, driver licensing, etc. They are a government owned, public insurance corporation. British Columbia has public insurance. Alberta is private. Saskatchewan is public. Manitoba is public. Ontario is private. East coast provinces, I'm not sure.... Andrew Edit: I'm going to have to look into the "trailer not hooked to truck" insurance. Hadn't thought about it until this thread.
My trailer is not covered even that it was not my fault. But they are paying for the repairs to my truck that I did not have collision. I don't see the diffence between the two. There is not enough damage to the trailer to make it worth while fighting for
sounds like time to lawyer up