I am thinking of buying a 25 ton tag (most/all of the 25 tons have triple axles). Are the triple axles with dual wheels as hard on tires as triple axle single wheel trailers? I could handle some additional tire wear but don't want to deal with tires loosing their beads on tight turns. Eager Beaver makes a triple axle with the leading axle an air lift. Does anybody else? Winston trailers has a triple axle trailer(no air lift axle), does any one know anything about Winston trailers. Thanks for your time.
buying new or buying used? Whats the intended freight?
If I could find a barely used, used trailer I would love that. But I have been looking around for 4 or 5 months now and used ones with hydraulic ramps are rare or are well used. So the answer is most likely new. The heaviest piece of equipment would be a Hitachi 160 and the next heaviest would be a JD 655 loader. Thanks
Hum, most in my area are moving that size stuff on 2 axle trailers. My towmaster is a 48k pounder, friends eager beaver is the same. Mine is a shorter 19'6" of flat version, and for some stuff its too short. Hauled a jlg600a on it today, and the basket was over the ramps and the tires were all but against the headboard, with the end of the boom over the jack. My old boss ran a 3 axle dual tire trail king for moving things but he was moving td15e's and Daewoo 180lc's on it. He didn't really seem to complain about the tires. Personally if you need to moving anything over 160's regularily, I would like to see a 35 ton detachable and a dedicated tractor.
I moved the same equipment on a Interstate 40dla. Handled the load fine but like stumpjumper said anything much bigger and your going to want to start looking at a lowboy.
I have a 54K Betterbuilt tandem tag that I have moved a 953, 315, D6N, D5, backhoe, etc with no problems. Several years ago I got the bright idea of moving a 321Clcr just up the road to another job on Saturday to finish up something - I will never do that again.. ointhead :spaz
Go ahead CM, share with everybody what you used for a tow vehicle on that inauspicious trip.... :falldownlaugh:badidea
I have a triple Interstate and it hauls my equipment just fine. If you rotate the tires around it is no big deal. A lowboy for a 160??? Regards, CD
It was the trailer I have now and a tandem Int. 7600. The truck handled the weight but the trailer needed another axle...
Oh, I thought that said 312, I thought you were talking about the trip where you used the compressor in the p'up bed for brakes and moved something with your F350, but I won't embarrass you by bringing that up in an open forum. Oops.
How the hell did I get dragged into this conversation ???? ….. and ya it was a 312 …… there was a compressor involved c/w a generator to run the air-compressor …. and it wasn't an F-350 it was an F-250 supercab 4x4 w/460 & E40D ……. LOL ! ……. So there ! ….. LOL !
I don't notice very much tire scrub on the two I have but I try to make wide turns loaded real heavy.
Yair . . . It's funny how things change. Way back with a four axle spread on a float (lowboy) we were real conscious of tyre scrub particularly when manoeuvring on concrete in a dealers yard . . . even to the extent of running out the fire/wash down hose for a bit of lubrication. These days, from the tracks I see, no one seems to give a damn. Cheers.
I run a 4 axle drop deck (spring ride) and don't notice much of a difference over a 10' spread axle. I avoid sharp turns unless I am in loose stuff. I get 140-180K miles out of trailer tires, however I just switched to the super low pro 22.5's and might get slightly less from them.
I have posted these pics on another thread but I'll post them here again, I have had a couple of tri tags over the years and haven't really noticed a big tire scrubbing problem, quite honestly I notice more scrub on rear tires on a tridem or quadrum detach but we are pretty conscious of reducing air psi to those axles on sharp turns The reason you're not going to find a 25t tandem is because pintles have a vertical load limit unlike 5th wheels Pj
Yes you can, I have one. A 54K lb Betterbuilt tandem axle pintle hitch, moves my equipment regularly.:cool2
Would that actually be rated at 25 tons payload? If so it must have a tare weight of of 4k pounds. That sounds more like 20-22 tons rated payload.
Does anyone know what vertical load limit is on a pintle ? I am sure there are some that's heavier than others....... But the heaviest one I can find only has a 18k vertical load and that's a 45t pintle What I was kinda meaning is that a tandem has a legal load of 34k interstate routes and 36k intrastate (I am sure all states are different) so that would mean you would have to put 36k of tongue weight and that's not including the weight of the trailer if it's a 25t cap which interstates 50dla weighs 10k I'm not arguing just curious Pj
I have seen a 60 ton pintle hook, but I can't remember the vertical load capacity. It was way up there, though. On edit: a Wallace Forge 75 ton is only 30,000; they have a lot of them with 20,000 vertical load. Just for general interest, you can get 40k on tandems here, off the interstate. A 20k vertical would give you 60k gtw.
The trailer is rated at 54K lbs total weight. It does get confusing as not all trailer manufacturers rate trailers the same as we know. Technically the trailer has a 54K lb gvw. So you are correct on the payload being less than 25 ton but it's still a 25 ton trailer. We can legally have 20K per axle non-interstate and 34K interstate like everyone else. There are 50 ton pintles with 20K lb vertical loads - http://www.buyersproducts.com/towin.../50-Ton-Pintle-Hooks/50-Ton-Pintle-Hook/4888/
Yeah, it has always been confusing with tag trailers, one company's 25 ton is another company's 20 ton. 20 on the hook and 40 on the tandems would give you 60k. 10k trailer weight would give you 25 tons legal payload. (cause you know you nor I would ever consider being a little overweight. :angel)