Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are we “essential” workers?

Natman · 2020-03-17 20:35

Anyone else wanting to help slow the spread of the corona virus, but the phone keeps ringing? I worked the last 2 days and am also booked the rest of the week. If I was a tire salesman, school teacher, or a book keeper, I'd stay home for a while. But even though I can afford to not work, (drawing SS, no debts, etc. unlike the majority living hand to mouth, so I understand) I know the carpenter crews that use me are (as always) wanting to get the trusses set ASAP, so they can dry it in and besides getting paid for that job, move onto the next one. They are 90% of my work, the rest mostly HVAC. Today I did two jobs 60 miles away, and I tried to remember to keep my distance from anyone, and quickly found that it is hard to do. Just because, I guess, we are used to closing to within a few feet of someone when addressing them, not 6 or 10' away. Once in the cab with the door closed, and them up on the 2 story walls, no problem. When I wrapped up and headed home, I stopped at a gas station (with the cheapest diesel seen in a long while in these parts, $2.63 a gallon, one good thing of the current situation) and made a point of keeping my gloves on when using the store's door handle. Then I got some coffee and a bag of potato chips, and only when the clerk took the bag and ran it over the scanner did I realize, that with all the people he had no doubt dealt with on his shift, my chips now had his cooties. I used the john to wash my hands, then left the store. I tried to remember where he had grabbed the chips, as I opened them, but, who knows? Back at my yard, after parking I washed my hands, home a half hour later, I washed them again. I'm in good shape with no issues, but I am 70! All in all, I feel lucky doing what I do for a living, as it usually involves very minimal contact, much less close contact, with others. I'm just wondering how everyone else is handling it. I know one thing, I didn't need that bag of chips, the coffee....yes, but it was not handled by the clerk.

Replies27
  1. #1Ronsii2020-03-17 20:51

    And whu knows how many other people grabbed that bad of chips after sneezing into their hand... and then putting the bag back because they changed their mind!!! and the guy that stocked the shelves... I try not to think too hard on it cause the stress may kill me anyways

  2. #2kenh2020-03-17 22:29

    Just soak your hands in Diesel three times a day, will stop any germ! My allergies attacked a coupe of days ago, sneezing/coughing. Thought about visiting Wal Mart, I should have cleared the store out in a few seconds.

  3. #3Blocker in MS2020-03-17 23:14

    Hmm....on the lookout for foot and mouth disease. There have been some steers wonder through a couple times, but that is it. Not to take this situation lightly, but I do appreciate my lack of exposure.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2020-03-17 23:27

    If I had caught the b*****d that busted the toilet papers holders and stole the toilet paper from the wayside rest on I-94 eastbound in eastern Montana today there would have been another coronavirus death. Lucky the family bathroom on the ladies side of the isle was still stocked.

  5. #5Ronsii2020-03-17 23:31

    Sometimes I get the same work environment just run the machine and not see anyone for hours... I see your thumb fingers aren't as curvy as ours... how thick are they - I used 1 inch by about 4-5 inches at the bend for ours... but it is just mild steel.

  6. #6Ronsii2020-03-17 23:38

    Some people should have been culled from the herd long ago, hopefully what goes around comes around for them... Boss was talking to one of our rental reps today and he was telling him how he was in costco yesterday shopping with his wife and out of the corner of his eye he saw a guy come up behind them and reach into his cart and take a bag of frozen brussel sprouts!!! our rep was kinda in shock didn't know whether to confront the guy or what... he said the strange part was there were plenty more of them in the cooler when he went to get a replacement??? So watch your carts when your out shopping cause there are some real winners out there.... they'll steal anything they think you want.

  7. #7Blocker in MS2020-03-18 13:45

    Just guessing here, but I think the teeth on this one are 1.25”. I have a hydraulic thumb on my Christmas wish list.

  8. #8Natman2020-03-18 22:34

    On a radio talk show today, a list of "permitted" activities (IF a real serious overall shutdown, like in Italy, ever happened) was read, and besides the obvious ones like grocery stores, medical personnel, emergency responders, right in there was construction work, close enough. I noticed on the interstate today, what seemed like a lot of early season big RV's, all north bound, no doubt headed up to the nearby parks of West Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Most towing or carrying ATV's, boats etc. I guess they didn't get the government and states memo to stick around the house for a bit until this blows over, but are just carrying on as usual, interesting.

  9. #9Mother Deuce2020-03-18 23:32

    Same thing at work yesterday. Stole the rolls out of the blue room. Really irritating.

  10. #10Shimmy12020-03-18 23:39

    Still busy with harvest. Damn I want to play in the sandbox instead.

  11. #11Bumpsteer2020-03-19 00:35

    Holy crap......how much you have to do? Ed

  12. #12dirty4fun2020-03-19 11:17

    I drove from Colorado Springs to N.W. Illinois left yesterday afternoon got here around 6 am. The fuel prices in Kansas were crazy for gasoline, from $2.39 - $1.69 Diesel bounced around but the lowest was 2.39. I did buy anything but fuel and only used to a couple bathrooms and washed good, but who knows. I am 70 also, while healthy want to stay that way. I will stay away from people just in case, I got something from someone else. Have plenty of work of my own to do. Changing oil in excavators and such, always something can be done. Hope everyone stays safe and beats this virus.

  13. #13crane operator2020-03-19 12:55

    Looks like its still standing pretty good, how are the yields?

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-03-19 14:15

    What was the irritating part... having no toilet paper or having to use something that felt like sandpaper?

  15. #15Blocker in MS2020-03-19 21:36

    At least you have a nice ride!

  16. #16Mother Deuce2020-03-20 00:46

    LOL!! I have the habit of making sure that I have the needed supplies before starting the project.

  17. #17Welder Dave2020-03-20 00:50

    I worked at a shop where they mentioned it in a morning meeting.

  18. #18old-iron-habit2020-03-20 14:26

    Our local snowbirds are all coming home early to get away from the other older folks in the crowded trailer parks of the south. Most don't normally come home until April. My next door neighbor got home yesterday and commented that he was worried about getting stuck there.

  19. #19Bls repair2020-03-20 17:03

    Shimmy are you staying 6 feet apart ?

  20. #20Shimmy12020-03-21 02:41

    Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party. We've been done with our corn since early January, but have done over 1000 acres of custom work, trying to help the neighbors finish up. Yields have been decent, about average for our area, but test weight has been crappy. Lots of 50 lb corn. We may have reached the end of the road, as of now we have no more waiting for us, but that could change as there is still a little left out there. Probably a topic for the shooter's thread, but had some fun today. Took the oldest boy, he's 10, to the gun club where I passed hunter's safety 30 years ago. Figured he was old enough to learn how to operate his new Silverboy, and I had to dial-in my new 10-22. He was a pretty proud young man this evening. This was his second round with the Silverboy, pretty fair I thought for iron sights and only about 50 rounds under his belt. This was his after 2 clips through mine with a scope. And of course, Dad had to show off.

  21. #21Welder Dave2020-03-21 04:03

    Pretty darn good! Is your scope very slightly off? I always wished I could have seen my dad shoot. He always talked about teaching us how to shoot but it never materialized. He started target shooting in his teens and was one of only 3 masters in Canada (at one time) and the youngest by a fair amount. They used to keep him in the car when the gun club had friendly competitions with the military. He always wondered why but later figured they were making bets on who would win and then this teenage kid would come out and beat them all. He hand carved his gun stock to fit him from a blank. It is quite heavy. He sold the Winchester 22 target rifle from it though. He won the Alberta small bore championship so many times in the 50's they gave him the trophy permanently but he retired from shooting because it wasn't fun anymore. Other shooters just wanted to beat him and he just happened to be good at it. He didn't have a big ego and certainly didn't have to prove anything to anyone. Some others got way too competitive. He said prone position is the most accurate and he could hit a target about the size of a dime from 100 yds. with iron sights. He also said breathing is very important when shooting. I asked him about scopes one time and he said if the scope is off it will magnify how far you are off the target. I only went to a shooting range once and 100yds. is a long ways!

  22. #22Natman2020-03-26 00:23

    Idaho is now locked down, not a restaurant (other then takeout) is open, nearby West Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks both closed. They are asking all non essential workers to stay home for 21 days. 2 days ago I did a HVAC lift at the local county jail, that count as essential? My next job is scheduled for Friday, a large custom home 80 miles away, if the builder is in, I'm in. I'll not stop anywhere on the way there and back, and stay in my cab. Local news is reporting "permitted activities are still being decided on." It will interesting to see how the local builders comply, or not.

  23. #23old-iron-habit2020-03-29 11:39

    Our contractors are considered essential workers in Minnesota. However the rental centers and lumber yards, etc. are not. The state said they are reviewing things and are not enforcing anything.

  24. #24Welder Dave2020-03-29 12:57

    Here some places are voluntarily closed and other places are open but have shorter hours. Most people keep their distance but some don't seem to concerned how close they get to you. I've had 2 e-mails asking if my MX track is open yet. The ground is frozen and there's about a foot snow. These people must have been in hibernation and living under a rock? I don't even know if I'll be able to open until the Covid 19 is under control. I don't know what kind of rules they might put in place for recreational activities. They are enforcing all the RVers who return to the province to self quarantine for 2 weeks which means you don't go visit family, you don't pick up your pet at the kennel, you don't visit friends. You go straight home and do not pass go and do not collect $200.

  25. #25Natman2020-03-29 22:25

    We, construction trades anyway, are on the GO list here. My last job, Friday, while still in the truck I told the crew to stay the heck away from me, and no I wasn't kidding. Got the job done, and had them trow the rigging up onto the truck bed, didn't touch it myself. A cash job, I had brought an envelope that I set down on a saw horse, and told him to put it in there. Didn't count it until the next day (all there). Washed my hands before leaving (2 gallon Solar Shower hanging from the sideboards, soap in a rigging box). Got diesel on the way home, didn't go inside. Crazy I guess but at least I'm still working. NOT touching your face is a huge part of all this I keep hearing, go figure.

  26. #26John Griffin2020-03-30 09:18

    Did you wash up after touching the diesel pump?

  27. #27Natman2020-03-30 16:06

    Kept my gloves on while fueling, which I do most times anyway. Diesel and hydraulic oil smells like money, but I'd just as soon not get it on my hands.