Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Area calculator app

A cat named bob ยท 2015-03-16 19:17

I'm wondering if anyone has found a decent area calculator or app for figuring square feet of odd shaped lots. I generally do levelling and top soil grading for new construction, and I can always get a plot plan showing the lengths of each side. The problem is the lots are often an odd shaped trapezoid or have 5 or 6 sides to them, and I'm tired of trying to remember my high school trigonometry to find the area for ordering top soil. If anyone has seen an app or program that they can recommend, it would be very much appreciated.

Replies24
  1. #1CM19952015-03-16 20:33

    Welcome to the Forums A cat named bob!:drinkup Right off hand I don't know of one but I have an asphalt and concrete calculator app but it's just for square shapes.

  2. #2lumberjack2015-03-16 20:47

    Google Earth Pro? www.findlotsize.com ?

  3. #3A cat named bob2015-03-16 21:11

    Thanks lumberjack. Pretty neat website, but two of the lots I need are still showing as farmers fields. Don't know how often it updates but I'll have to keep an eye on it for future lots.

  4. #4rsaint2015-03-17 08:27

    I have used 42240' which is length around a acre approx add up outer meassurements and divide by 42240 usually gets very close for job estimates.

  5. #5lumberjack2015-03-17 08:46

    An acre is 43,560 ft^2. Linear dimensions added together are still ft^1. Because of the difference in power, they cannot be compared since first is an area and the second is only a length. For standard shapes, you can find the area (for example, length times width for rectangles) and divide that into 43,560 ft^2 and you'll have the measurement in acres. Complex shapes can be approximated by standard shapes or Calculous, but neither are easy compared to using a computer and relevant satellite picture.

  6. #6lumberjack2015-03-17 09:18

    Sure. Download it to a computer and use the polygon tool under ruler and go to town. Google Earth Pro used to cost $400/year, but it's free now.

  7. #7KLV2015-03-17 14:33

    I use a hand held GPS walk around the perimeter note the length in feet. That can be used as a circumference or divide by 4 for the area of a square. Then convert the area to any unit you want, sq ft, acre, yards etc.

  8. #8redneckracin2015-03-17 15:07

    Where in the world did you learn math? 43,560ft^2 is an acre. 66'x660' is how I remember it. By my math, that comes out to be 1452' for the perimeter. Maybe you mis-typed something??

  9. #9lumberjack2015-03-17 15:14

    That works for a perfect square or a circle. There are plenty of standard geometric shapes/formulas that can be used to divide complex shapes into standard shapes.

  10. #10Trashman2015-03-17 16:21

    One of the best little books out there is the Pocket Ref by Thomas J. Glover. It will be the best $10.00 you will ever spend. It has every formula you could ever want for figuring construction work.

  11. #11Former Wrench2015-03-17 18:39

    I have kept one in my tool box for years. The ref has more info than any 10 folks could use. These are great and it has never let me down.

  12. #12Oxbow2015-03-17 18:55

    Free eh? That's great. I use regular google earth for many of our proposals, but being able to place layers on the photo would be very handy. I hope it does that, and I will need to update now. I was too cheap to pay the $400 before.

  13. #13CM19952015-03-17 20:23

    Welcome to the Forums KLV!:drinkup

  14. #14RBMcCloskey2015-03-17 20:54

    Get the drawings eMailed to you as PDF files, use Adobe acrobat to calculate the areas.

  15. #15bvfdfire2015-03-18 00:15

    Garmin etrex has a function that will give you the acres, square feet or whatever measurement you desire. I have tried another download program as well, but i can't member the name. we use the etrex to measure fires all time.

  16. #16lumberjack2015-03-18 10:12

    Read what I wrote.

  17. #17morph2015-03-18 12:13

    A really easy one to use that is free is daftlogic google to find they do an area calculator and a distance one . Sorry haven't mastered links yet.

  18. #18tmc_312015-03-19 08:34

    Here is the Daftlogic link. I use it regularly. http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm I also use a Iphone app called Planimeter. It also works very well for field work. Planimeter is available through the Apple App Store and I think it is only a few bucks. Tim

  19. #19Trashman2015-03-19 09:04

    I just tried draftlogic. That is an outstanding program. Thanks Tim!

  20. #20lumberjack2015-03-19 10:30

    Draft logic even works on my iPhone! Excellent, Tim!

  21. #21Bear12015-03-19 13:13

    "eFarmer" or "connected farm", both iPhone apps. I'm sure they were both free( I'm too cheap to pay for an app.) you just drop pins. Assuming you have an iPhone, though they may work on android or some other goofy platform too, not sure. I can do fields, whole farms or the front lawn.

  22. #22tmc_312015-03-21 18:32

    Just downloaded the free pro version of google earth. Works pretty good. Tim

  23. #23tdrainage2015-03-22 15:30

    there is a free app for phones and pads called Fields Area Measure. Great app. It will bring up a satellite image and has options for distance or area measurement in standard or metric form along with doing a draw out on your own or use the app's options

  24. #24wosama931b2015-03-22 22:28

    An easy way to thinkabout it, one ac, 43,560 sq. ft. or about 208 by 208 sq. and if you walk it off, a 36" stept. will give you a quick idea .