This was out in Ohio. A man was working on an old International TD15 dozer, I guess he was standing on the track, (the article is vague), it started moving and ran him over. There was a woman in a car in front, the dozer hit the car and pushed it along until it hit something to stop it, killing her. http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...ashtabula-county-bulldozer-accident/31888857/
That's unfortunate ,hate to hear that . Kind of like a freak accident . Looked like a TD 15 power shift dozer . Hard to say what happened ? Accidents happen , Be careful & know your limitations . We lost a good man in the southern Indiana community . He was mowing the grass & slid in a pond . http://www.whas11.com/story/news/lo...ember-killed-in-lawn-mower-accident/30737243/ http://www.joehubers.com/
A burp I seen on the all night news early today said that the crawler was geting repaired and was started while the deceased was standing on the track. Two people in the car, one is still alive. Edit: Just seen another article on this. Appears it was a 1960s machine that had just been purchased for $1,500.00. The operator was the lead operator at a land fill and the gal that perished in the car was the landfills office manager. It did not say if the accident happened at the landfill or at a totally unrelated site. This article also did not mention a second person in the car.
That was a tragic one, too, sorry. Trying to understand what happened with the TD15, my only guess would be he jumped across the starter solenoid terminals? That would bypass the neutral safety switch. Just trying to understand what happened so I don't end up like that.
That would have been my guess, but it's hard to say....
Yes, I hope I didn't seem like I was trying to blame the guy so soon after he's died, but hopefully we can learn from these tragedies to prevent them.
ANYONE can make a small mistake, and if the angels aren't smiling, pay too big a price. Not saying this man was responsible for what may have been a mechanical failure of some sort, but sometimes years of experience can work against you when things don't go as expected.
It was an old dozer, and I believe he had just purchased it. No telling how much the wiring and original safety devices had been cobbled up/hacked/modified over the years. Having not owned it long, he could very well have been caught completely off guard when it started and moved.
The one article said he was standing on the track and stumbled when it jumped. Maybe jumping the starter, who knows? Sounds like when it started it jumped forward and keep going and he got caught up in it. For certain it was not locked in neutral and it took off. I really wonder how the car got caught up. Just passing by or perhaps she was there to hear it run?
I think you are correct on the TD15 accident . That would have been my best guess . I'm still speculating on Hubers accident with the lawn mower . My guess is it was a wide tire zero turn model and with the extreme wet conditions we had this summer he lost control of it on a hillside & ended up in the pond ? I have one customer with a zero turn that said they get pretty squirrely on hillside wet grass . Sometimes bad things happen to good people . Just happens at times for no apparent reason . Wrong time wrong place . A cat only has so many lives . Used up a few of them myself but aint going to worry to much about it . When your time comes .................. not much anyone can do about it .
IMO zero turns are only suitable for flat ground or very slight grades. I have a zero turn and the edge of our front yard is sloped a little. Making that first round, I'm holding the stick for the high wheel slightly in reverse to keep her going straight. All the rest of our yards are flat. I got it in a trade w/ friend who's whole yard is hillside and he hated the ZTR. Mike
A tragic accident.