I am looking for the help. I need to crush a stockpile of asphalt and gravel that is around 30,000 tons. Any ideas on what crusher to use? I need an 1.5" minus gravel product from it to use as a road base on the job.
I've always had the best luck with a horizontal shaft impactor. I would use the screen on the crusher(if equipped) as a scalper and feed a seperate portable screen for final sizing. You didn't say what you have to work with, but that is how I would go about it.
You will probably have to use two crushers. A jaw crusher feeding into a cone crusher to get to 1.5" minus. What I've done in the past is build a 4 or 5 foot tall bench next to the pile to be crushed walk a portable jaw crusher up onto it, and then walk a portable cone crusher under the belt of the jaw crusher so that the material that comes off the belt goes into the cone. We used a 320 cat excavator to feed the crusher, and a 972 cat loader to bail the crushed material into a stockpile, and push the pile up for to the excavator in between. It worked out well for me.
How many yards a day could you do with that setup? Did it make a nice product?
That's why I recommended a horizontal shaft impactor. Only need to use one crusher, unless your starting product is huge. How much you produce a day depends on the size of the crusher and screen you use.
We did about 800 to 1000 yards in an 8 hour day in decent conditions. The finished product was beautiful. But keep in mind, you could do better or worse depending on the size of your crushers, material, and the experience of your crew. By the way, it may save time and aggravation to have a crusher operator. I've never used a horizontal shaft impactor, but D155's idea might be good too. I really just don't know anything about them.
the company i work for always uses a impactor for asphalt crushing jobs. we rented one that had the screen right on the back of it so you didnt need another piece of equipment to screen with. and we got 800 to 1000 tons a day in 9 hour shift. our rental set up was just like this one. YouTube - Kleemann 130 Impact Rock Crusher, Part 1