Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ASV PT50 coolant loss

seville009 · 2020-04-10 09:07

Have a 2009 ASV PT50 with a Perkins diesel I’m just a homeowner, so no commercial use. Primarily used for snow removal nowadays. Not alot of summer use anymore last summer, noticed that the radiator coolant would be down a bit after using it. Not down alot - maybe a quarter cup or so. Did the same this winter - would top it back off after snowblowing - usually an hour or so. Engine temps have always been normal. Put a new radiator cap on last summer thinking thst was causing leakage. With winter over, I was looking at it closely last week, and saw that coolant was dripping out the radiator cap overflow tube pretty consistently after the engine idled for about 15 minutes. There is no degas bottle in this skidsteer Don’t see any leaks in any of the hoses or fittings. So.....my questions are: is it normal for coolant to drip out? I don’t recall it doing so prior to now. In prior years, I don’t recall having to add coolant for most of the time I’ve owned it. When I top off the coolant, i bring the level right up to the bottom of the filler neck. I saw somewhere on the internet that it should be about an inch below the neck. The manual doesn’t say anything about this Any reason not to add a degas bottle? Not sure why it wasn’t designed with one. Thanks in advance for any insight

Replies2
  1. #1walkerv2020-04-10 10:25

    If you fill it all the way up when it warms up and expands it has to go somewhere. If it dont list a level to fill to let it find its own level, quit adding just check it . If it gets stupid low and its still pushing coolant then you have an issue. Degas bottle would be pressurized your set up could have an overflow bottle on it if you already got a hose coming off the rad neck , you can get creative with that and use about anything. Soda bottle water bottle ect.

  2. #2seville0092020-04-10 10:30

    Thanks for the response Yes - I will leave it alone for a bit and see if it “finds” its own natural level. I’ll try your bottle degas idea if the above doesn’t seem to work out.