Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ASV RC100 charging issue

southernman13 · 2017-06-17 07:04

06 model not charging. I hit a tree while backing up pretty good but no more than many times before. I'm. It sure that contributed to it bit it did quit charging that day. I didn't notice it till a little bit later. Anyway I've checked fuses and connections. So I got a new aftermarket alternator and put it on. It's still not charging. I don't think it's a bad battery because it still starts and runs. The battery of course is getting weaker. I've had it on charge all nite and I'm m going to check it this morning. Just for chits and giggles I'm going to change the battery out to see if it makes a difference. Only other thing i can think of is the new alternator is bad as well or I'm missing something somewhere in the electrical routing. It's not a dead short and I've checked the alternator diode in fuse box. I may try and bench test the old alternator with a drill and battery. No one around here in Cuthbert has anything to test it with. It's a simple 2 wire alternator. B+ and D+ terminal for the dash light. If anyone has a schematic it would help. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1f311fr12017-06-17 22:35

    I have attached an electrical schematic for an RC100

  2. #2southernman132017-06-18 06:37

    Thank you sir. I'm pretty sure the new alternator isn't charging but this will give more to go on.

  3. #3mikebramel2017-06-18 11:08

    Check the fuse

  4. #4southernman132017-06-18 15:20

    Which one. I've checked all I know to check I have voltage ont the orange 12v wire that goes to B+ on back of alternator so I have battery voltage. And the D+ small grey wire the only other wire on it illuminates the dash light. I've taken the orange wire off the alternator and connected another wire to the alternator and ran it direct to the +battery terminal and it still doesn't charge. I've also ran that same external wire direct to another battery outside of the machine with a ground from that battery to the ground on the machine. This eliminates the battery in the machine and any circuit and it still isn't charging. Other than taking the alternator somewhere to have it bench tested I'm out of ideas. I am going to take it somewhere tomorrow if you can find a place snd and see what they find

  5. #5southernman132017-06-24 07:00

    Tada!! Fixed it. They sent me a new one to replace the other new one. Well the housing was wrong and it wouldn't mount up. When I got the first new one I had to change the pulley. However my pulley required a spacer to keep it off the alternator housing. I made one from a 5/8 lock washer. It fit in the hole and around th shaft. The second new came with the proper spacer so I replaced the lock washer that I had cut to fit with the proper spacer. Well I guess the lock washer must have been touching the housing or was close enough to cause interference or grounded out the aternator because now it is working and charging as it should be. I couldn't see where it was touching and it would spin freely but I guess it was close enough to cause it issues. Yeeeehaw!

  6. #6Forestry Tech2021-03-04 11:37

    Joined today to be able to get the schematic for our RC100, been chasing this issue for a while now, replaced the 560 ohm 1 watt resistor in the fuse box, replaced the diode, still no charge, only seeing 2.5-2.9 volts at the alternator field stud, not enough to excite it, may have to go to a 2 watt resistor, thoughts? Another issue I am having is, the hour meter fuse was blown, replaced that and when I turn on the battery switch the ac blower comes on and the oil light as well, this thing has me chasing my tail. Any input will be greatly appreciated. John Fenner, Florida Forest Service 954-680-4180

  7. #7southernman132021-03-05 07:08

    Track loader parts website has a lot of free info. I did have a wiring schematic I’ll look and see if I still do. I no longer have an ASV

  8. #8f311fr12021-03-05 08:42

    See attached, Click on it to open

  9. #9Forestry Tech2021-03-05 09:36

    Thank you, I had to sign up to open the one that you had posted back in 2017, I swapped out the alternator again, now it is charging,,,,, but,,, now it wont shut off, even with battery switch off, had to pull the main power fuse to get it shut down, alternator fuse out, diode out still seeing 10-12 volts at 309-A22 wire at alternator, still getting oil light on and AC blower running but no hour meter displaying or fuel level with ignition off but battery switch on, I am aiming toward ignition switch issue, also thinking the resistor might be too big, have read elsewhere about cannon plug issues, not much hair left to pull out.

  10. #10Forestry Tech2021-03-05 09:37

    will look into it, thank you!

  11. #11Forestry Tech2021-03-10 09:06

    Just wanted to update, fixed the run on issue, replaced the alternator Diode in the fuse block, that issue is handled, now the other problem, with the hour meter fuse installed, the AC fan and fuel pump runs with key off, pull fuse and it all shuts off, digging into schematic again, will update on the progress.

  12. #12southernman132021-03-10 13:30

    Good luck!