My old ASV 30 doesnt have a water separator on it, and this year has been brutal cold up here in Canada, I park my machine in a warm shop, and im concerned about condensation in tank, A couple of times I ve caught my machine stumbling, or missing for a second, but it continues to run. I suspect some water in fuel. Is there a particular type of separator, i should get. Or will any quality unit work. I see some with heaters and other features. Is there not a stock fuel filter with a drain on it that I could use. My current one does not, Any ASV owners can chime in, Thanks
I add a Napa 3972 inline screen (if you have 5/16 lines) on the outlet line from the tank to all my Takeuchi and Kubotas. They all had screen only separators and I couldn't make 200 hours on fuel filters. Then, I use a Stanadyne FM100 separator @ 30 micron with the optional water bowl. You don't necessarily need the bowl kit, but, i like to see what's going on.
Thanks. I forget about those Stanadyne FM100 units. They can be handy.
Thanks for reply, so 30 micron will work in cold temps, no plugging up. do I want separator before primary, or after. Im thinking before
Yes, a water separator would go before the primary filter. Any fuel filter will trap free water that would cause icing problems, if you have a primary and secondary filter then I like to take the primary off and dump it out to see what it's caught, then put it right back on. You might not want to do that if there's only one filter, too easy to let something get in the clean side and into the injection system. A roofing screw through the bottom works for a drain also, if it's just water you're worried about. Your shop is probably so dry that condensation in the winter is not much of a problem, there's much more water in the air in the summer.