Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ATF for Hydraulic tank D21A-7?

tpitt ยท 2015-06-11 11:22

Hello: I'm asking for advice. I have a 1995 Komatsu D21A-7 dozer and I am adding a set of homemade rippers. My hydraulic tank looks like it had ATF in it. I've drained the tank completely and was wondering if I should put ATF back in it. I tried contacting the previous owners mechanic to no avail.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2015-06-11 11:47

    Are you assuming it was ATF simply by the colour of the oil that you drained out..? Bear in mind it could have been regular hydraulic oil with a red dye in it. We used to do that to identify where leaks were coming from.

  2. #2tpitt2015-06-11 11:57

    Yes I was. I wonder if it would be alright to put regular 10wt hydraulic in it? It did have an obvious leak in the back of the tank. I repaired it, but it would have been noticeable without dye.

  3. #3Nige2015-06-11 12:17

    You'd need confirmation from one of our resident Komatsu experts, but to me it would be logical to put SAE10W (or ISO AW32) hydraulic oil in that system.

  4. #4tpitt2015-06-11 12:20

    Thanks Nige. Hopefully someone responds. I was just worried about mixing it. The system still has a lot of oil in it even though the tank is completely empty.

  5. #5Dickjr.2015-06-11 14:42

    My komatsu hand book says it calls for 5.54 gallons of hydraulic oil AW46 / 10W , the part number is 1400530H1 for 5 gallon pail.

  6. #6DK882015-06-11 20:42

    10w

  7. #7tpitt2015-06-12 00:25

    Thank everyone for their replies. I called Komatsu today and he said go ahead and use Dexron lll. So I'm going to put it back in.