So my plan to go to college for heavy equipment operating backfired when I went there Thursday. Turns out they don't have room for me :beatsme. . . So I am a bit lost as to where to turn next :Banghead I was looking into this other school ATS (Heres there website http://www.operator-school.com/ ). I was just curious if anyone else has attended this school or heard about it? I'd be goin to the one in NH since it's the closest to home. It's wikked expensive so I want to make sure that it would be a good move on my part or if it is just a waste of money. Actually I'm not even sure I can afford it but they say they can give financial assistance. I'll take any advice anyone has to give right now.
Have you ever thought about doing a Union Apprenticeship? I know that bringing up a union sometimes is like poking a hornets nest with a stick! All I'm saying is it can be a option for ya. I don't know how strong the unions are in Maine, or what kinda work is going on there. It would be worth you looking into. For one, it wont cost you a dime, you actually get paid to learn! Pretty tough to beat that! And you kinda have an ace in the hole, being a young woman, that wants to learn, with a good head on your shoulders. The apprenticeship programs seem to look at women a bit more these days. You seem to know what you want so get out here and take it! Jason
Actually someone did mention that. But I thought it was for people who knew abit about the industry and heavy equipment. See I love it and all but don't know squat, I really really want to learn though. If I wanted information on that how would I find a union in my area? I did a search on google to see if it would come up with anything but didn't get much.
HEO Girl, Here is the link you want for union in your area. Hope this helps, best of luck. http://www.iuoelocal4.org
Thank you so much 992G!
the union is an execlent way if you can get in it was full in my area for the private schools be VERY careful with them! there are alot of them making money simply off of the unemployment office. i attended one and that happened to be the case, HOWEVER if you do decide to go that route go early stay late and be even more intrested then usual, the teachers have alot of guys (and girls ***) go through there and only the ones that stand out will get what they really need. if nothing pans out try the colllage for next intake date, this could give time for saving more money, youll need it! as well the work isnt very plentiful at the moment any ways i did attend one of these schools and lost my job because of pulled contracts so be carefull before you do any thing, or youll end up back on freezer night shift good luck! and tell us what you decided!
Awww that sucks oriden, I hope everything turns out ok in the end for you. Ok I've thought up a game plan! Plan A: I found another college (well turbo suggested it to me), It's Penn. College of Technology. They seem to have an awesome program. However I applied wikked late . . . I'm not sure if I'll even get in, but I applied anyways. We will see. If worse comes to worse and I don't get a dorm room I guess I could always live in my truck for a semester and try again for the dorms next semester. Hahaha. Plan B: If this college falls through, I'll try for the union around here to get into their apprenticeship program. There application period starts in Nov. I guess . . . If that doesn't work! Well I'm screwed for a year . . . Plan C would be keep workin my 2 jobs I got now . . How fun! not
HEO Girl, How is the construction work in your neck of the woods? Is one of your two jobs in construction? Even though you want to run equipment, if you have to be a laborer for a little bit, thats one way of working your way up the ladder. Lots of people have started that way, it would be somewhat of getting your foot in the door.
HEO Girl You can look at Wentworth Institue of Tech in Boston,MA. They have classes in both civil engineering and Construction Management. I went for construction management and now am a project manager/estimator in the sitework field. Its a good school and well known in are area. I actually started as a surveyor and when people didnt show up they needed someone to fill in and thats how I got started.
I have no idea. I'd have to ask my dad he works for one. I wish one of those jobs was in construction, I wouldn't mind being a laborer, I'd take that in a heartbeat. I tried to get into where my dad works this summer but his boss just couldn't do it with the way things are. I cashier and bag your groceries, or work in a gift shop :tong. Being a laborer would be 100x better then what I do now. I actually tried to get onto one of the little lobster boats for work also, but that fell through for me and my buddy Matt That could be another route I could take. I'd rather hold off and wait a year then go for construction management though.
I highly recommend a 4 yr degree in construction management. Being an operator or laborer is nice but later in life when you want to be the boss the degree will come in really handy. You will hit a ceiling in your pay scale being an operator instead of being a superintendent or project manager someday which pays way more. I actually think running the machine is the easy part. Doing layout, shooting grades, figuring out the proper sequence to do the work in is the hard part. The more one person can do the more valuable he is to the company. I survey,project manage, draw asbuilts, estimate, purchasing etc... This has helped me keep working in these tough times because I can do more then one thing. I know a guy that did the ATS class in NH. After he spent thousands of dollars he was no better on the machines (he still dint know how to position the machine correctly) and was only slightly better with shooting grades (he only knew how to read a rod in inches not tenths). I think its a waste of money for how much they charge.
Ya, I keep hearing bad things about that school. . . So I don't think I'm going to go that route. You make a very good point though. . . So many decisions to make and so little time! Ugh. I'll have to look into this construction management thing a little bit more. I told myself I didnt want to be in school for 8 years, haha that's just about what this is turning into.
Heo Girl, I went to A.T.S. in Lecanto,FL. The only thing that school is good for is the certification. No companies would hire me in N.C., so I decided to go to school. It was ok, but try to find a company that will let you train on-site.
HEO Girl have u taken the free online quiz/class that ATS has. i took it and it helped a little bit especially with the equipment i haven't run before. i figured it couldn't hurt since i'm going to try to go there this winter when it's my slow time.
HEO Girl... Penn College in Williamsport has a great program. I am based in Philly and know many people in the industry including my company that actively recruit there. It's a well respected program and they are well networed with contractors in Philly, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.
Yeah it seemed like they had a very good program, and I get an Associates out of it. I'm really crossing my fingers that I get in there but where I applied soooo late, I dunno.
I'm a graduate of Pennsylvania College of Technolgy out of Williamsport, PA. I was enrolled in there Heavy equipment operator technology program from 2007-2009. I had a 1 year wait to get into the program because it is such a good program and there is very few seats. At the beginng of my degree in August of 2006 there was about 28 or 30 of us, and in May of 2009 there was only about 17 of us and more kids who failed classes. All I can say its a great program, I got a good job operating out of there, but I also was in a Heavy equipment program in high school so I had 4 years of operating in a educational enviroment for my resume. You will learn a hell of alot of knowledge probably 10 times more then ATS because you actually get a college degree either a A.A.S. or if you want a B.S but the rest of the curriculm for the bachelor program is all mangement ********. And the best part is, is its a Penn State affiliate, which = a diploma from Penn State. Get your name on the list you might have a 2 year wait, I had a 1 year wait between high school and going there. Also there is plenty of off campus housing there, I never lived on campus and I HIGHLY advise you dont. Just a few thing to mention if you do, they check to see if your under the influence past 10 PM, no drinking, no smoking in the dorms, random room checks. If you live off campus like I did the whole time there you will have zero worries, believe me.
Penn College There is a great school when I went there a long time ago, we did most of the dirt work for the campus at Allenwood if that tells you who long ago They had some great teachers but no money for equipment and supplies now with them being part of Penn State that is not the case they are one of the better programs in the country and there placement rate for new graduates is very high.
I went to Penn College of Technology from 1996-1997. Great program. Would recommend it to anyone. I worked as an operator for the last dozen years. At the end of last year due to some health issues(and the lack of work in my area), I got into a Komatsu dealer running their rental department. School can only help you get ahead.
Just a stupid question, but why in the world would any one PAY for training that can be obtained for free? Forget about a "school" and just go out looking for a job! Get into an apprenticeship program, or just keep bugging a super about a job! F school and just use that good ole American Go Get Em Attutide! Judas Priest, it cant be that hard! Jason
One reason is, is because you go into the field as a operator and not a laborer. Another reason is you start out at a reasonable rate. Another reason is this is 2009 not 1969 and you need a college education now days to get into anything fairly decent. Last but not least I went to college so I can move up the latter quickly foreman, super.... Hope this has enlightned you a little bit, I can go on and on with more reasons as well. :drinkup
I went to Penn College and got my degree in heavy equipment. It was the best time I have ever had. I did "PAY" and it is paying me back everday. I was a pipelayer for 3 year trying to get into a seat, but the boss would not get me into a "apprenticeship program" so I made it happen on my own! PTC 2001
HEO girl if you need any help with PCT let me know. just PM me.
It's really tough to beat union apprenticeships for training. Plus, you get paid to learn the trade, as well as access to the grounds for learning something new. On top of all that is a great wage and benefits package. I'm an apprentice in my second year in the program and I love it. I guess I'd agree with others, why pay for training? You can start out as a laborer and work your way into the seat. Chances are, as a beginning operator, you're going to end up laboring one way or another anyway.
Lets see here. I graduated high school in 93. Went to work for a logging outfit the day after I got out of high school. Refused to go to college. Didnt need the brain washing!! Got my first job in construction in 95. Worked my ever living rear end off, learned alot of stuff, some good, some bad:drinkup Went anywhere and everywhere that was asked of me. I chased a rock crusher around for 6 years or so. Joined the Operators Union in 01. Went to work for the outfit I now work for. Ive taken some time away, but have always had a place to go. I am now working on my second season as being a superintendent for the company I work for. Started as a foreman, with no school, other than the learning I recived on the job. If thats not your cup of tea, then I dont know what is. I spent some time around Kiewit, who hires a bunch of college educated idiots. Not a one of them can operate a dozer or scrapper or hoe, but they sure think they tell a guy (or girl!) how its done! I told one of them A** H**** one how it needed to be done. He couldnt do it, but he was able to go get me 2 checks. Thats all he learned from "college". He read a book and thats it. NO REAL WORLD EXPERINCE! Get off the college teat and get a job. Its not that tough to make a name for yoursefl. unless you want to be a "DRONE" Jason