Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Attaching to bucket with larger pins.

delectric123 ยท 2017-02-04 20:56

There's a ditching bucket I can borrow from somebody that has 100 mm pins with mine being 90 mm. I currently don't have a quick coupler but definitely plan on getting one, so my question is, is a hydraulic multi pin quick coupler capable of clamping onto pins that are 10mm larger? Otherwise I'll I end up shopping for a ditching bucket.

Replies11
  1. #1Shimmy12017-02-05 00:38

    If the coupler you end up buying is used and has some wear, you might be able to get away with it. Otherwise, have some bushings made. 10 mm smaller pins would require a bushing with approximately a 3/16" wall thickness. On a pin that isn't moving in said bushing, it should be just fine. Have them made a 1/4" longer than the bore in the bucket, leave the extra to the outside, and weld them in. If the bucket ear spacing is close enough to your buckets, your pins would work if you have some extras.

  2. #2Graham12017-02-05 09:16

    If they are loose pins in the bucket you can get some dog bone ones made up. start with 100mm pins and use a lathe to shave the centres down to 90mm. Will still fit the bucket tight and will fit your quick hitch, providing centre distance is okay. Graham

  3. #3Shimmy12017-02-05 09:33

    You probably could, but I see a few issues with this. First, removing 10% of an induction hardened pin would more than likely get you into the non-hardened area of the pin. Now, being it's a hookup device and not a wear point, some might consider it fine, but I would be concerned about strength. I've had bucket pins break, and they tend to re-adjust the alignment of things when they do. Other thing is turning down 24-28" of hardened pin .200" is going to take some time, around here I'm thinking $400 or more.

  4. #4Graham12017-02-05 10:27

    As it is only borrowed I wouldn't be turning down the original hardened pins or welding bits in. The owner may not be too impressed when he wants to use it again. As it is a ditching bucket it shouldn't be used for had digging so a set of mild steel pins should be sufficient for grading or ditching. Graham

  5. #5gwhammy2017-02-05 10:30

    I've made bushings before to put a komatsu bucket on cat before. Also just used some cold roll for the pins.If the bucket is wider make your bushing the shim also so you just slide it in the bucket and it's ready. Lots of grease is the trick to keep from gaulding since you have two similar metals.

  6. #6delectric1232017-02-06 14:05

    Thank you for your replies. The quick coupler would more than likely be new so that option is out the window. So it seems the next easiest solution is making a set of longer 90mm pins(bucket is wider) and making bushings but I wouldn't want to weld them in as the bucket is borrowed. Glad to hear others have done it, so its not an absurd idea. Our shop guys should be able to do that so biggest cost would be price of materials.

  7. #7delectric1232017-03-10 14:06

    Just a follow-up, our shop guys made one piece bushing/spacers, and longer 90mm pins, using the specs from the service manual. Works great! Now, since the pin spacing on the bucket is wider than the Kobelco spec, (I can't say off hand what the difference is), if I'd add a quick coupler, it would need to be hydraulic. A manual has little tolerance for different spacing. Is that correct?

  8. #8funwithfuel2017-03-10 14:50

    you might wanna look at Geith , they have a pin grabber that will allow different diameter pins, it has a tapered throat on the close side pin and a sliding jaw for the far side. I know they make this adaptability for the 80-90 pin range < not to sure about going up to 100, but worth a look.

  9. #9funwithfuel2017-03-10 14:50

    I believe JRB offers one as well , under the Palladin name, IIRC

  10. #10Shimmy12017-03-10 18:26

    You can cheat a little bit with any coupler, as long as your spacing is slightly wider than the coupler. Narrower will not work at all. On a wider spaced bucket, the main pin will just not be tight against the back of the front hook. This does pose a bit of an issue with slack. I've done it with a bucket where the spacing was about a half-inch wider, wouldn't recommend much more.

  11. #11mike.rider2017-03-13 14:52

    Wedgelock make a quick coupler that will pick up the pin specs that you are after. Contact PSM for more info. http://www.psmcorp.com/