Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Attachment for pulling ditches

tkoden · 2016-04-12 00:41

We have been doing a lot of road maintenance and are trying to come up with a way to pull ditches on rocked roads without making a mess all over the road. Has anyone seen an attachment that would do that? We were thinking about using a ditching bucket that was 12" wide at the bottom and 36" wide at the top but that would be cumbersome doing miles of road.

Replies14
  1. #1mitch5042016-04-12 06:45

    What do you have to attach it to?

  2. #2Willie B2016-04-12 07:41

    A dozer?

  3. #3d4c24a2016-04-12 15:14

    You mean a "V" or trapezoidal bucket http://www.stricklanduk.com/v-ditch-digging-buckets

  4. #4Dozerboy2016-04-12 16:20

    Here twe cut them from the road with a grade all or a hoe if we have to. Never have an issue with making a mess on the road. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  5. #5tkoden2016-04-14 16:21

    I was thinking about a trapezoid bucket but didn't know if there was anything else that might be faster. I could attach something to my 20k lbs or 40k lbs excavators or a skid steer.

  6. #6Willie B2016-04-14 17:34

    I'm not clear whether you intend to maintain a formed ditch, or form one. CTL machines excel in the light duty work of cleaning out a previously formed ditch. If nobody offers a rotary ditch cleaner, a great opportunity awaits the patent holder. If the ditch isn't shaped well you want first a Gradall. A very skilled operator can do well with a big excavator & a toothless bucket & wrist.

  7. #7tkoden2016-04-15 16:59

    I like the idea of a rotary ditch cleaner. Something I could put on the excavator or skid steer and pull material out of a ditch. Maybe even have it dump onto a belt that goes in the back of a 10 Wheeler.

  8. #8d4c24a2016-04-16 15:42

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zso_5u6u_kY

  9. #9Nige2016-04-16 16:26

    Nifty.... but I'd hazard a guess it costs a bit more than the OP has available in his budget.

  10. #10Willie B2016-04-16 18:50

    Somebody will build one for a CTL. A drum with flails will scoop cigarette butts, and beer cans into a hopper, then the driver dumps it into a truck to be hauled off to a facility able to make Lamborghinis out of cigarette butts.

  11. #11tkoden2016-04-17 01:15

    This is what I am trying to make but on a smaller scale. http://ditchmaster.net

  12. #12Leighva2019-12-05 10:15

    yes I’ve seen a rotary ditch cleaner. It throws the dirt into the field. Pretty nice ditch left behind. Our county put a large single disc on a grader mounted to a conveyer belt to build all the roads in the county. That was years ago. Don’t see them anymore. this might be a better option. I’m trying to find out who manufactures then. I found pics of these on a blade in Scandinavia/Sweden. It allows for positive and/or negative cut for pulling the shoulder and grading the road top in one pass. I was just told that someone in Washington was custom building them for Yakama County. I’m going to call them.

  13. #13Bls repair2019-12-05 20:38

    Do you have to remove dirt or can you just lose it?

  14. #14Blocker in MS2019-12-07 19:40

    This is what a few of the counties around here run....when they have to.