It is now spelled Hydraulic. That concludes this day's lesson class. lol. Not picking on anyone in particular,.....just saying Pj
ATTN. new spelling for HYDROLIC: I'll be danged, your right... Course, I never had a doubt you were right... But, tonights lesson is here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?fulltext=Search&search=Hydraulic And I thought Pj said... "Test Tomorrow"!!!... ...... lol OCR...
I refuse to conform
Uh-oh....your gonna get yeled at for starting THIS thred, dude. opcorn :drinkup
lol the principle is gonna be pissed I figure the powers at hand can move it to the OT if need be Pj
You sed it - I no to guys that will loose there minds over this!
Now does this proper spelling transfer over to all uses of the word? Like I understand Hydraulic Oil, but does it transfer over to Hydrolic Pump?, or Hydrolic Hose... and I thought there was a K in there.... like Hidraulick......:stirthepot And if this is gonna get me in trouble...... qball did it I swear. :drinkup
I don't know about you guy's but I still have a hard time with "Diesel". Have to remind myself it's- "Die-Sell". What was this thread about anyway... Edit: I'll be damned, it was about spelling.
No.... im pretty sure its Deesul
We are also changing the spelling of Cummings to Cummins
who in there right mind calls it cummings ?
Isn't this fun?
Bewsyrus Eary.
I am not bad in my judgement but far from perfect in spelling. If I judged every person I met by their spelling I would be lacking much knowledge and many friends. When you go to post if you notice this site has spell check which is activate by clicking the small ABC with the check sign below it. It is located above the smiles box. As long as I know what someone is saying when they type I'll take their knowledge or opinion shared here. They are probably a better mechanic than I am a speller. AND if you can spell better than me you probably can't put together a 7 million dollar masonry job in all respects. AND I can run a Lull as good as anyone I have seen but you would not get within a 50' radius of me if I was in a backhoe.
so sorry i used the wrong spelling Alco but Do you enjoy pionting it out ?
i say HYD...LOL!
Looks like we have the battle of Alberta goin on here... I'd like to fight the Cummings one though.... its a silent G...lol
No yelling required. I will say this though--While the argument that this is the internet, and your spelling and grammar are important in the respect that people will tend the judge you by those criteria, does have some validity, I think it's more important to look past those things and judge what the person is saying on its own merits. Some of us have a great God-given capacity to perform well in academic things, like spelling and grammar, and in some of us, that capacity is not so great. Some of us have simply been given a better education than others. Some of us have a great God-given ability to understand the physical world of earth and rock. To see subtle changes in grade, to smoothly coordinate multiple machine controls, to have an intuitive knowledge of how iron and dirt interact, or to have an intuitive knowledge of how a multitude of metal parts, hoses, wires, and lubricants interact to produce the horsepower that makes it all happen. Others, not so much. I defy anyone to identify a positive correlation between a man's spelling and grammar and his ability as an operator or mechanic. Or his work ethic. No, it's not off-topic. It does have its place in the industry, and thus it has its place on the forum. Certainly, written communications between contractors and their customers, or engineers, or other business or governmental entities, should have proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and format. For that reason, I'll move it to "In the office", cause out in the dirt, winning the spelling bee really does nothing to separate the men from the boys...
Wow, relax...it's all in fun. While pointing out somebody would have to be not in their right mind to make one spelling error, you made one......you have to see the humour in that! I guess you can dish it out, but not take it.
In my position, the written word is half the battle. I have to send faxes, emails, and letters daily to owners, architects, subcontractors, and tradesmen. While I dreaded grammar in school, I now see it's merits. I may not be perfect, but I try my best to write, type, and talk in a professional manner. It has won me a great deal of respect in the field. If you don't scream a swear word every other sentence can get you pretty far too. Heck, if I get a job application or resume, I look them over for grammar and spelling. If they can't take the time to spell check, how do I know they will do a quality job for me. On the interwebz, it is not all that important, but with texting, and the younger generation, the written word is going downhill fast. Picture this, you and the super are having a discussion over a discrepancy in the grade of a manhole. Super: 'Sup, Jon? You: IDK, somthin off. Super: wot? You: plns show inlet at 1121, bt top of pvmnt is 1115 Super: jus sec Thats where we are headed. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp
The first thing I thought of when I saw thread was the old adage about stones and glass houses. If someone is going to be openly critical of spelling errors, they better be damn sure they haven't been guilty of it themselves......
Alot of Petty comments can come of threads like this .. TBH it never bothers me if people cannot spell, Only bothers me when I cannot undertand the actual sentence. Now there might be a few spelling mistakes above but it still makes sense? Sence? How about this ... How do you spell Colour? Color? Check it out .. Spell it!
I agree, which is why I felt I had to state my opinion. I'd hate to see us have to add spelling and grammar to politics and religion as prohibited content. I do agree that it's important; really important, in the conduct of "business." I think it's a whole lot less important in the accomplishment of construction work . Our forum attracts members from the entire spectrum of people active in the field. If somebody wants to make a point about the importance of spelling and grammar in the conduct of the business, for the purpose of helping other members recognize when it is important; to help those members advance themselves in the field, then that's all well and good. If the subject is raised just because it's personally annoying to see those errors, then I think one needs to consider that it might not really be a factor for a large part of our membership. Again, consider the content of the message for its intrinsic worth, regardless of its appearance, come to the forum with an understanding of the fact that spelling and grammar might not be a factor for the person posting, and learn to just deal with it.
Ross makes a very good point. Because this Forum is world wide, the spelling does differ. We were taught under the British system where a lot of words are spelt differently and in some cases have different meanings to the American system. As he pointed out, colour/color, and then plough/plow, night/nite, just to mention a few. In reality, words should be spelt the way they sound and I think at one stage there was a suggestion in the schools here, that words be spelt the American way because they generally are spelt the way they sound. If this was to be the case, then 'hydraulic', should be, 'hydrolic'. Meanings of words differ greatly, one of the most common ones that I can think of is, in the US, you can 'root' for your baseball team, whereas here it has and entirely different meaning of an explicit sexual nature. Here on the Forum, I do not think that spelling is always the problem. It takes forever, for me to make a post, because I try and put some thought in to it, if I am not sure of the meaning or spelling of a word, I will look it up on an online dictionary, and I try and get the punctuation right. Even then, after I have proof read the post about six times, I will find that I have left a letter or word out, after I have posted it and in some cases it can change the meaning of the text. These are typing errors, rather than incorrect spelling and I make heaps. If the poster is reading the Forum after along day and he is tired, it is very easy to make typing errors and not pick them up, before posting. Rn'R.
In all seriousness - there is a mechanic on this forum, who is so helpful to SOO many people (in fact I have talked about him in the real world).... But his sentences are almost unreadable - you have to read the sentence/pagraph 3 or 4 times, but usually its worth it. But nobody EVER says anything to him because he is so helpful - so there you go.:drinkup
And that raises another point--some people are good at expressing themselves via the printed word, and some are not. Would you rather get advice from somebody who can eloquently and effortlessly express pure drivel, or someone who struggles, with limited success, to express pearls of wisdom? And what happens if we create an environment where those who don't express themselves as well, or with textbook spelling and grammar, feel uncomfortable joining the discussion? Is the forum better off losing the participation of those people?
ATTN. new spelling for HYDROLIC: Absolute not... in my opinion. And that environment, is very easy to create... then people become reluctant to participate. If they're total jerks, and contribute nothing , they can be.. :ban.. behind the scenes. OCR
I too didn't like grammar class in school but kinda wish I would have paid more attention now though, to be honest when I was in school I could not understand how commas and periods could be of any use to me later. I also know some times an accent can be pretty strong and apparent even through a written word and I think I am pretty guilty of that too. There has been alot of good post on this thread even though and one of which was Diggers, well thought out. One time I got a "Talking Too" from one of the mods here and I was told that this forum was no place for sarcasm, jokes or any funny stuff period end of discussion!....Although I dont think it's fair, it's the way the owner wants it so I suppose next time I just wont start a thread. My background with forums comes from snow&ice, there is 2 successful worthwhile forums with tens of thousands of members and one is ran a little stricter than the other but neither are Suit&Tie no B/S'ing allowed, and then there is another forum that is just a plain ole' romper room with a 6y.o. running the place and everyone spouting off and acting like children,....and it only has 300members so it is pretty clear to me what the S&I industry would rather see and maybe its that way in the construction industry too? With all of that being said I understand how some could take this for a malicious thread when in reality it was not. Pj
Our policy here at HEF is NOT to discuss interaction with other members on the Board, we would hope the members would reciprocate the same. The recount posted above is not entirely accurate, but is not open for discussion. I don't see anything good coming from this thread, CLOSED.