Was eyeballing an auction and they have a decent looking older case with 3.2k hours on it but its stated as missing the front drive shaft. Is that a bad sign of its life or would it be a good option to purchase and install a new driveshaft? There are some images of what the under-carriage looks like
that looks like a homemade driveshaft loop also. previous owner probably had multiple driveshafts breaking and gave up.
probably not the best sign?
If it was that easy, the seller would have done it. More than likely something else major is wrong and no drive shaft means you won't know until you own it. It's like the used cars with a dead battery so you can't start it; but the seller tells you everything else is OK. Right. Put the battery in it, and let me see what's going on with the car. I won't bother calling on those, just bad vibes with that kind of seller.
Yeah thats what I was afraid of, pity cause its low hours but the last thing I need is another person's nightmare
for the right price its worth messing with if everything else works and you can test it before auction...but the right price is CHEAP!!!..and that probably wont happen in an auction...
That is a factory driveshaft guard.
yeah its all the way out in CO and Im in TN so online bidding only so no way I could test drive or check it, its a 96L so I'd be it will sell for around 15-18k based of off the last few weeks results of 580 sales
https://www.rbauction.com/1996-CASE-590SL-4x4?invId=9957696&id=ci&auction=DENVER-CO-2017185 correction its an SL not L, between probably not selling for dirt cheap, costing me 2.5k to ship it to me, and possibly having a decent amount of issues its probably not the best buy for me as it would be my first hoe
pretty risky buying any machine sight-unseen. My K needed the front yoke connection piece that was no longer available from case and was 200+ for a used one that was hard to find. Hard to tell the condition of the splines on the front shaft as they are caked with mud. I'd never buy any machine that cost more than it's scrap value if I hadn't seen it first or knew and trusted the person who had. Being new to machine ownership, even seeing and hearing one run might not reveal major issues. Take someone with you who knows and pay them a couple hundred to tell you if it's a good one. it's money well spent.
Wait for one to come up for sale within driving distance of your home. Be patient you will find one u can see in person. The shipping charges on the one on CO. could be spent on parts for one closer to you. Take a look here, some are not from you. https://www.fastline.com/listings.aspx?Category=Tractor/Loader/Backhoe&mml=_Case&page=2
Yeah thats very good advise, agricultural machinery I know pretty well and can "feel" or sense when something is off but construction grade I have zip for xp, luckily my neighbor used to run a construction company so I try and bring him along whenever I look for his years of knowledge over mine
i would never buy equipment from ritchie bros without seeing it first in person. i've seen a lot of junk equipment at their auctions.
I witnessed several turds with serious problems bring retail at rb in Chicago 6 months ago. Blows me away what people paid for stuff needng lots of work. I guess I overpaid for my turd too but hopefully some sweat equity will bail me out over time. I love having it even if it just sits mostly.