need to drill some post holes on shorelines, nothing super deep,seems excavator augers are high priced compared to skid steer augers. if i keep the gpm close can i use a skid plated auger and just make an adaptor plate for my excavator. any body ever do this?
What size excavator? I had a Bobcat auger that I could swap from skid steer to mini-ex. The auger worked better on the mini for maneuverability, could not tell a difference in performance.
excavator would be a pc78 so it has 30gpm flow but if idled down would be less gpm.
I'm not a hydraulic expert by no means but this high flow auger from Cat is rated in the 30 GPM range. https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/shop-by-attachment/augers/424-0440 It might work but need someone with more knowledge to confirm.
I installed an auger on a PC60 Komatsu and attached it to an I beam so it could drill holes in rock. It worked great. I did have to plumb a water tank into it though and that was a bit of a pain. I worked on another machine with an auger that he was using to core drill for footings. He had no problems with the auger. He told me it was a pain to keep the auger vertical as it went down. The boom and stick move in an arc.
I use mine on skidsteer and excavator Hydraulic motor on auger don’t care what it’s mounted on. Just need hyd fluid to feed it