Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Auger hex drive sizes.

fastline · 2026-04-04 15:52

Super odd thing, we bought some new augers sight unseen, fully expecting the standard 2" drive. They are not! They are some odd size smaller than 2", but I can't find anything in the industry like it. Anyone have a clue? Almost wondering if they were made wrong as they are maybe 1-7/8" or something.

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-04-04 21:30

    Metric maybe? Is there enough space you could tack some shims on the hex?

  2. #2fastline2026-04-04 22:16

    The male hydro driver is 2". The female sockets on the bits are smaller.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-04-04 22:34

    OK, I thought it was the other way around. I'm not sure if you can buy a standard hex sleeve? If so you could cut the smaller one off and weld on the proper size. Another option might be to see if a machine shop could increase the size of the hex in a milling machine. Probably have to cut off and weld back on. I suppose you could grind or machine down the male hex but then your existing augers would need to be shimmed.

  4. #4hseII2026-04-04 23:01

    We’ve got an adapter from Skid Steer Solutions to use the old McMillian 2” round auger with our modern Eterra 2” hex drive. Auger Adapters | Eterra The Eterra Auger Adapter allows you to extend your augers reach or adapt it to a different drive mount with one simple bolt on adaptor. www.skidsteersolutions.com Measure your augers & determine what size they are- Could they be for the handheld Hydraulic powered drill that ran off a generator maybe?

  5. #5fastline2026-04-05 22:08

    I think they are a China special. 43-44mm hex, or about 1.761" I guess you could call them 1.75". Either way, far from any standard I've ever seen.