Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

auger unit compare power

case310350 ยท 2011-05-02 14:52

I have an old original bobcat hydraulic auger unit with chain drive. It seems to lack power. I know all dirt is different, but using a 10 inch auger if I hit a 3-5inch rock the auger will stop. I watched a crew drill holes for a pole building with a 12 inch auger and it never stopped, went through the dirt like butter. So i can't get specs on mine but the new units I assume are much more powerful? Any feedback would be great as well as units that you would recommend, like loew etc

Replies5
  1. #1Z28982011-05-02 16:45

    It sounds like the circuit relief may be set too low. I would check pressure of the aux circuit. If it is low go searching for the circuit relief and adjust or repair it. Also could be a worn out drive motor but for sure the first thing to check would be circuit pressure. Hope this helps.

  2. #2case3103502011-05-02 18:16

    So is this old unit have as much torque as the newer models?

  3. #3Z28982011-05-04 11:00

    No reason it shouldn't. It should have enough torque to snap off the drive on the motor. 1 Gallon in = 1 gallon out. Fluids are incompressible. Again if your unit is stalling on a rock then you have a big leak bypassing the motor (circuit relief or direction control). Also the motor could be worn out and bypassing (going straight through) instead of driving. Path of least resistence. Hope this helps.

  4. #4case3103502011-05-04 14:00

    If the older motors didn't have the same torque as the newer it will have less power. If you take a large motor and compare it to a smaller motor it will not have the same torque, but pressures and reliefs are fine. I am thinking the newer units are bigger. That being said my hydraulic motor may be weak from wear.. not sure

  5. #5Z28982011-05-04 14:42

    Torque is a result of displacement multilpied by pressure (PSI). Hard to discuss the 12" auger that you seen working because as you mentioned we don't have pressure and displacement specs as well as yours. All I know is that your unit shouldn't stall until it reaches the point of circuit relief opening, which is designed to protect the machine and the attachments. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with mine if it stalled on a 3" rock. That would mean the wife would have alot of extra digging with a pick and shovel