Hi, I just picked up an AW Super 300 grader. Serial number 366 16470. I have a couple of issues I'm trying to sort out: 1. The steering is very stiff and "jerky". By jerky I mean the steering wheel feels jerky when trying to turn hard. This does not translate to the front wheels. The system on this machine is fully hydraulic. There is a ram at the front axle and a small cylindrical fluid diversion valve (don't know the proper term) at the end of the steering wheel shaft, which is where I suspect the issue is. How hard is it to get parts to rebuild one of these? Or are there other things I should check first? 2. The cirlcle lock on this machine doesn't stay down, so under load at the blade toe the lock pops up and then allows the circle to rotate. A previous owner cobbled a rope and pulley so that the lock can be puled up, but there clearly needs to be something that holds it in place. The manual I have looks like it is a pedal actuated hydraulic mechanism, but on my machine there is no pedal and the mechanism looks like there might be a solenoid. I have yet to pull it apart. Thanks! Chris
Some had a button switch on the circle control lever which operated a solenoid. On these graders you flick the steering wheel not turn it like a conventional type steering. To operate the rear steer while travelling hold the right-hand side with your right-hand, left hand on the steer lever then work your hands together ie r/h moves down l/h moves up
This grader has the solenoid setup and there is evidence of a place for a switch on the circle control lever. It is not clear to me whether the solenoid could hold the circle lock in place with heavy load on either the toe or heel. Could it be that the circle lock has become tapered? It certainly looks tapered and when heavily greased it squeezes out. I don't understand your comment about the steering. This unit has a steering wheel. When the engine is off rotating the wheel very slowly turns the front wheels. With the engine on it is easier, but it feels the same (the jerkiness of the hand pump). How do I trouble shoot the steering? Thanks, Chris
My recollection is the solenoid didn't hold the lock in place but released it. Heck I'm going back 50 years so could be w,wr,wro,wrong .
Looking at the setup the solenoid just releases the latch from the circle. Gravity is all that holds it in place. The teeth on the latch have a slight taper, which I thought was to facilitate engaging and disengaging. The problem is that with all the grease on the circle that taper allows the latch to squeeze up out of the circle teeth when there is torque on the circle. Should I grind the latch teeth flat? Or is there another solution or problem. The original solenoid is on the machine, but doesn't have the strength to pull the latch up. It seems to have strong pull on the bench, but inadequate on the machine.