Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Austin Western

Alchalmers · 2024-12-06 11:40

Hello I am interested in a Austin Western front end loader. I know this is the grader forum, but apparently this loader was built from the grader frame that was only produced for two years around 1938. I think the machine has a IH silver diamond or upgraded engine from a later series. The owner thinks the machine weighs about 15k pounds. My question is does anyone here know anything about this machine? Could I still get parts for it such as brake parts, shoes etc. Do you think the parts from a grader of a similar era would be interchangeable? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Al

Replies6
  1. #156wrench2024-12-06 12:36

    I’ve never heard of one but its kind of cute considering its age

  2. #2Vetech632024-12-06 12:38

    I see a dune buggy

  3. #3Alchalmers2024-12-06 16:40

    Here are some additional photos with a serial plate if this helps. I am curious if I could get parts for this machine.

  4. #4Tones2024-12-06 17:26

    Parts for may not be limited to graders only but AW cranes as well. Just thinking outside the box.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-12-10 15:36

    That loader is years ahead of it's time if it's a 1938!! It looks in fantastic condition too!

  6. #6Bruce O2024-12-20 12:20

    Highly interesting! Clark Michigan loader model "35AW" in the 1960s-70s was very similar with AW steering axles. Your radiator shell and wheel hubs have the look used into the 1940s. The front frame double C channel from the 1930s got changed to a single large box frame by the early 1940s. The northern tier of states has a lot of AW survivors because AW was the best for snowplowing and logging roads. If this is running, if you don't get it I'd like to!