Well it is time to start on the wiring. Ware to start? I have already taken a pair of dikes and removed all the wires that were not connected at both ends before I took any pictures. Now I wish I had of taken some before I started hacking just to show the rats nest. I think , no I know someone has tried to work on the wiring that did not know anything about it. Some of the splices were held together with household wire nuts and masking tape. Here are a few shots before I tare things apart.
For those that have not been fallowing along on this restoration here is a link to the original thread. Here is part of the new instrument panel as I lay it out. I am putting it on the "B" pillar so I have more room for the seat. A shot of a trial fit, then a shot of the gages installed, Switches will be next then the wiring. I am having problems finding harnes plugs so I can make it a modular design.
Looks like a tedious job. Wireing can drive a person nuts. At least it can drive me nuts. Great idea on the guages. It makes it look race ready!
It sure is time consuming, But it takes my mind off everything else which is something I like. Race ready but would surly come in last place.
Dwan, The instrument panel looks great. I am in the process of rebuilding a John Deere 690A excavator. I will soon be getting to the wiring. It needs a complete harness. Can you advise me on what type of copper wire to use? I will post somr pics when I figure out how as I am a newbie to HEF.
It would be best to look for a factory harness. A last resort is to build your own.
Do to the age of the machine the factory harness is no longer available. The machine is very simple with minimal electrical. Can you advise me on the wire used?
Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures.
Dwan, That looks great and taking the time to make the wire runs nice and neat will pay off if you ever have to do any troubleshooting. If fact keeping the bundles neat and supported will probably keep you from having troubles later. I agree that doing the wiring is tedious, especially since it's usually toward the end of the project when you just want take the machine out and play!
Tiring wiring!!!!! The original job looks similar to a Champion 600 we used to have. Your work looks nice but give some consideration to soldering connections as those crimp on ends can lead to problems later on. Either way the panel you have made looks great. Legdoc; Any copper stranded wiring will work. An important aspect is wire sizing. Make sure all supply wiring will handle needed current. Try to obtain a wiring schematic of the original circuits as they often tell sizes of the different wires. If in doubt larger is better.
The crimp on are temporary untill my curcuit brakers arive. most of these connections except the blue ones are soldered. I got sidetracked today so no progress.
Dwan, I might be a bit anal on wiring but I crimp and solder these type of fittings. I just tin the end of the wire, feed it in, crimp and then whack the iron on the end of the fitting where the end of the wire just pokes through. Just leave the iron a few seconds until it takes...doesn't even melt the shroud. If I'm getting carried away I'll then shrink over that as well.
FWIW - Crimp on connectors are used in aircraft because they survive the vibration better than a soldered joint. The wires tend to fail at the end of the solder. Use good quality connectors of the correct size and a good set of ratchet style crimper's, the cheap ones are the cause of problems.
Wwell I had some more time to spend on the wiring. Still waiting for the ckt. breakers to come in. So far I have the engine management wiring done and the head lights, front turn, and running lights. still working on the work lights and rear end. I am trying to make everything modular so I can unplug any harness and remove and upgrade it without redoing the hole thing. everything is soldered and heat shrink with a corrosion additive inside.
Wired!!!!! Work looks very nice! I did not realize that the earlier connections were soldered. Try an electrical supply house for modular connectors. Orchard Ex interesting observation regarding crimp on terminals; Can you recommend a good brand name crimping tool for consideration. Thanks
AMP has always been a decent brand in crimper's and terminals both. You can also find a few decent crimper's a little cheaper than AMP. Definitely get good terminals too. Here are a couple links: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/amp_crimper.php http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WTC380
I have a set of the AMP crimpers ( I thank they must be at least 30 years old by now) and there are the best I have ever used. I am not worried about the grader falling out of the sky. I like soldering around places ware there is a lot of moisture which is here in this rain forest. I could never count he number of terminals I have had to replace because of corrosion. I do use crimp terminals in dry areas just not here.
Dwan, I think that you are doing an awesome job. I hope that my comment about using crimp on connectors didn't sound like I meant that you were doing anything wrong. It was just for information in general, making conversation and all. I don't think that a grader ever had it so good as that Austin Western does now. I wish I had your abilities. :drinkup
Trust me it was not taken that way. The way I am doing it was just second nature for me, but it did make me think back as to why I was doing it the way I was. My experience dates back to the late 60's and early 70's when I was a ground radio tech in the Air Force (7 1/2 years) I went to school for a year to learn how to do this kind of sh**. 5 years in Minute Man Missiles ware I wired launch control facilitys, radios, microwave, security systems, etc. I don't even think about why I do it the way I do it, just do it.
Funny how we all do that isn't it? Dad always went for the roll of lacing tape and made those nice pretty wire bundles and such, even for temporary fixes, "just because". I'll have to see if he remembers what knots he always said to use...
If I had some lacing line I would use it but living here in this so called up to date town they don't even know what it is. I am still looking.
Not sure what the shipping would be, but if you can't find any you can order it here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/lacing.php If you do order some be sure to ask for a catalog. Lots of neat things that are getting harder to find. -Korey
I will never rewire mine haha eletrick is just not my thing.... :beatsme