I need some help from you guys. I just bought this grader last week up in montana and got it home to Oregon. I'am having trouble figuring out the steering. Did they put two different steering controls on these or has someone changed mine.All the other ones look like they have the tiller steering and mine has a steering wheel with a long shaft going to a gear box on the front end.The serial number for mine is 145 1630 which makes it a 1959 Pacer 100 I think. I'll try to post a Picture of it.
Nice buy. What you have is one with manual steering. bear bones machine with a lot less to go wrong. there is also the steering for the rear wheels which should be hydraulic, located in the center of your valve body. Ofcorse it could be different as with any older machine. Looks like it is in real good shape. Mine is a 1963 Supper 300 witch is not a lot different except for the rear wheels. Dwan
It has power steering I'll post another picture of the power steering ram on the other side
Wow, that thing is in nice shape for a '59.
So is there steering controls through the valve body also? I have seen 1 with no steering wheel at all just the control sticks coming out of the valves. They have also had a few with butter fly stering wheels which do not rotate more then about 30 degrees
Looks like you have a field added option. here is what I found. this is only 2 pages out of 4 or 5 on the added stering.
I call tiller steering what you call butterfly steering . Here is a picture inside the cab.
The whole thing looks very factory to me but I don't know thats why I'am asking for help. David
if you can read the page 111 it says how to add the stering in the field from the factory. if you have a fax machine I could send you a few pages. Dwan
Yes I do that would be a big help fax 541-567-8284
I sent you 6 pages hope that they came through because they are kind of old and yellow.
Thanks Dwan They came throught great Is that a parts manual you have and is it for a Pacer 100? I bought one for a Pacer 100 and those weren't in it at all. Could you tell me what year you think that manual would cover? Thanks David
My 1962 Super 366 has that type of steering. The steering wheel and gearbox is factory; the hydraulic cylinder (which has the control valve mounted to it) can be added in the field or the factory. I have been through mine, and have several A-W manuals if you can't get what you need from Dwan I can fax or email you info. Great looking machine, by the way. If you get tired of it, just UPS it to Andrews SC and I will take it off your hands.
Thanks Mitch I need a part number for the Ross steering box It needs rebuilt have you rebuilt yours and are parts hard to get if at all ? David
I have a few different manuals. Those pictures were from an operators manual that had super 99 on the cover page. it had been crossed out and Pacer 300 was written with magic marker. Suppose to cover from SN 99SW-104 and up. everything that covers the Super covers the Pacer also as the only difference is the added set of wheels in the back and chain case. I do also have the parts book that came as a set with that operators manual. again covering from SN 99sw-104 and up. but as there have not been many changes in the 40 years of production a lot of it is relevant. this manual was printed in 1956
Thanks Dwan do you have a part number for that Ross steering box that is the only part I need to fix I think it is really worn.
I am looking, looks like part# for complete bstering head is PGF-12840
Thank Dwan I'll see if that number will get me some parts, David
Good Luck
I have that parts manual too, there are a few differences in the 99s and the later ones, but I think the steering gear is the same, I also have the parts manual that left the factory with mine; unfortunately all my books are at the shop. I will look tomorrow and make sure that is the same number.
Got one like that only it's a lot rougher. Has T bar steering and it's a pita. Got no idea where you are heading without looking at the front wheels. Takes my concentration off the blade. Very nice looking blade. FWD is not much use if you have much down preassure on the blade. Mine looks like it's straight out of John Wayne and the Fighting Seebee's.
Pictures?
I have a pacer 300 and was wondering if premium tractor fluid is ok for the hydraulic system?
In the hydraulic system. According to the operator manual above 22F degrees you should use 10W oil. below 22F degrees one should use "ice machine oil having a pour point of -40F degrees." ether a paraffin or asphalt base is acceptable. Personally I have been using DELLO 15-40 in everything I run. Some may differ but it has served me well in 40 years of taking care of all my own equipment. I am sure your tractor fluid will work just fine. Remember these machines were made back when you did not have the option to run to the AW distributer every time you had to add fluids. In todays machines I would stick to the manufacture specifications.
My dad used old motor oil in his for years plowing for the road boards and never had any problem. I think there is way too much worry about oils in those old machines. They were built for the everyday guy to use. In the new high pressure hydraulic systems I can see the reasoning for the proper oils.
Dwan could you tell me if that steering box number you sent is a AW number or a Ross steering number. Is it out of a AW parts manual or a op manual if its a AW number how do I cross it over? Thanks David
it is a AW# LIMA/AW/HEIN WERNER is the manufacture http://www.minnpar.com/ has 1 on hand. I do not know the price
Hi Dwan I registered on that site to get a quote and they emailed back and said no longer avalible and no replacement. If you have any other ideals it would be great Thanks David
none at the moment. I will think about it and see if I can come up with something.
I called Weller Salvage in Kansas no luck but they SAID they would put it on there hotline will see.
Dwan I took another look at the steering box and found this. Does it mean anything to you stamped # looks like PA620316A and ROSS.
super 500 do you know the drive chain case capacity of this beast ?The sn is s5662024 and appears to be a 1964 model super 500. Also any idea where I could get a service manual? thanks. Bob in Colorado
Here are interesting detail photos from an Austin Western Grader: http://forum.bauforum24.biz/forum/index.php?showtopic=63780&st=60 I like the old graders very much