I've been trying to research a motor grader that my brother wants to buy , I haven't seen it in person , only know a few things from talking on the phone at this point , the ID tag is located on the left front of the main center frame ( close to the front drive axel ) it reads from top to bottom ; first line is the serial number ? M266-8890 , the second line is ; Baldwin Lima Hamilton the third line is ; Aurora ILL. the fourth line is ; Austin Western Plant . The grader has a three cylinder detroit diesel , and is six wheel drive , I did a serial number search and it appears to be a Austin Western 200 super grader made in 1968 ? , so am wondering if I'm on the right track or not ... , appreciate any input to help ID this grader . Thanks , Kris
Certainly convinced me!!! I'm calling it an Austin Western Grader!!!! Sorry I can't offer technical data to support that claim.....
Is the color red? Does it have rear steer? Is it lacking lean wheel function? Bit on the heavy side? Prone to jumping out gear going down hill? Brake, (if it can be called that), on the drive line to the front wheels? Notice any hearing loss after running it? If the answer to these questions are yes, then it's an Austin Western Grader. Note, they probably came colored military green also.
Good one!!!!
I used to love how the cable for the wing could get caught on the tires if you cut the rear wheels too far. Or how you stood in those holes in the floor. I can hear that screaming Detroit now. Pumping the brake was a good workout
They cant be all that bad of a machine , what would be a price range on the super 200 , I realize condition is everything and I don't have any pictures yet , just looking for a ball park , I'm told it is in fair to good condition , can get the hours on it but who really knows how reliable that could be .... ,
Someone not a million miles from you made a pretty good job of restoring an Austin-Western. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks Nige, As for value? any ware from scrap price to $10,000 Parts are hard to come by braining value down. Good grader for personal use. You may not be able to afford it if you have to have someone else work on it but if you do your own work you may brake even. A super 200 shares parts with a lot of other sizes of the same brand pacer 99 through Super 400. until the brand was sold in the late 80's It is nice to have 2 of them. one for parts.