I read a thread on this site from a few years ago after hours of searching online and finding next to nothing about Austin-western graders, I was astounded that members here actually know what they're talking about! So I had to sign up in an attempt to glean a bit of info from a group of very knowledgable members here! Anyways my problem is that I have the opportunity to purchase a austin western grader, but it comes with some issues... I haven't looked at it yet but the owner says there are differential problems.... and I am worried that with a machine this seemingly rare in western Canada I may not be able to get parts.. So can anyone point me in the correct direction for info about the differentials in these graders.... Also the circle drive has a bent rod but I know a good hyd shop that can custom build these kind of parts at a reasonable cost. It has the 4 cyl engine starts on gas switches to diesel. I'll try to get pics up Thanks in advance!
Some more pics... any info about this grader would be appreciated!
Two bent rods, actually. And the pin eye yoke welded up solid at the bottom. Looks like an expensive repair.
Oh yes... good eye, I noticed the bent rods but didn't look close enough to see the welded rod end.... appears that circle hadn't turned for quite some time.... Are there any parts breakdowns available anywhere for that circle drive and the differential (I assume the rear diff is where the problem is)
Looks identical to the Aveling Barford 99 H, parts might be interchangeable. Ailing Barstards in NZ all had a Leyland engine that sounds like its got an IH motor seen it has petrol start then to diesel, but everything else looks like AB. Maybe AB was a copy of AW.