Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Austin-Western Grader Identification

humble_tweed · 2022-04-15 12:41

I have recently picked up an Austin-Western motor grader, Serial # M6766 with UD-14 engine (serial UDF-16740 Z1). I've been hunting for the year and model of this grader but am coming up short. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info, ask away! She runs well and is going to live out her days at a kid's summer camp in CO keeping our dirt roads nice and smooth. Thank you in advance!

Replies44
  1. #1Nige2022-04-15 12:59

    Try posting some photos. It's much easier to identify something from a couple of photos than it is from a S/N.

  2. #2humble_tweed2022-04-15 14:23

    I can take more of specific stuff if you’d like, thanks!

  3. #3skyking12022-04-15 15:47

    that is sweet! Hydraulics, all wheel drive, what is not to like about that? summer camp so no need to plow snow. Take the batteries home at the end of the season and keep them warm

  4. #4Nige2022-04-15 16:03

    A photo of the engine from each side might help someone identify what you have. One of the S/No plate might also be useful.

  5. #5Tones2022-04-15 19:08

    Aveling Barford and Austin Western are basically the same. This is an AB 99H, AW have a different model name. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Aveling-Barford:_Graders

  6. #6Nige2022-04-15 19:33

    Sorry I don’t think it is the AW equivalent of a 99H. I did my apprenticeship at AB and the 99H was physically a much larger machine than what’s in the above photos. It had a frame made of solid steel rather than hollow rails and was a real chunky piece of kit, not something lightweight like what’s in those two photos. The OP’s machine almost looks like a 2-axle version of an LG (which Barford never made).

  7. #7Bumpsteer2022-04-15 20:35

    International engine that starts on gas then you switch to diesel? All wheel steer? Ed

  8. #8humble_tweed2022-04-15 23:36

    Correct, UD-14, no pony motor, engine runs on gas then switched to diesel, and all wheel steer. I will put up some engine photos and badges in the AM to help. I’ve added a serial plate photo for the grader for now. My research so far has pointed at 1946 on the engine, but I may be way off. “UDF-16740 Z1” on the engine plate.

  9. #9Bumpsteer2022-04-16 00:41

    A friend had one...I never actually used it, just moved it around the yard. Seemed it was always parked in the way, lol. The damned slow responding steering drove me nuts! One could drink a beer in the time it took the wheels to turn. Ed

  10. #10averling b2022-04-16 04:54

    Not directly related to this thread but i have a 99h Avering Barford which has been in regular use till yesterday when something failed and the rear axle locked up. Need advice and a source of parts if I am to keep it going. Any help appreciated.

  11. #11Nige2022-04-16 11:10

    I hope you get some help finding parts. I will ask a few of my contacts and see what they can offer in the way of sources. Can you do a favour please and post a couple of photos of your machine to show that the grader on this thread is different to your 99H.

  12. #12averling b2022-04-16 17:36

    Okay, can put up pics but how do I do it?

  13. #13humble_tweed2022-04-16 17:37
  14. #14humble_tweed2022-04-16 17:38

    A few more as well

  15. #15Nige2022-04-16 19:33

    See this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums BTW I’ve put the word out about diff parts but not likely to hear back until after the holiday weekend.

  16. #16Nige2022-04-16 22:12

    Here's a link to a recent auction of a 1953 Austin-Western Model 10 that looks quite a bit like the OP's machine. https://www.marketbook.bz/listings/...tion-results/207490929/1953-austin-western-10

  17. #17humble_tweed2022-04-17 11:39

    Here’s what I’m thinking, but curious if the forums agreements/disagreements: Attached ad from 1946-1947 looks identical to this grader, and the date lines up with the UD-14 serial# when cross referenced. I believe the engine is a ‘46, at least from that chart. Grader’s serial number starts with “M”, which coincides with a tractorparts serial# chart for a 99M prefix. That chart doesn’t show 99M serials this old, but this ad confirms to me that they existed at that age. Moldboard lift rams are fixed and don’t swivel like many AW, and they’re mounted closer to the cab than most I’ve seen, but this ad looks to mimic that too. I can’t see anything dissimilar, comparing the grader and ad. Am I on the right track with this assumption? 1946 Austin-Western 99M

  18. #18averling b2022-04-17 17:51

    Here are some pics of my Averling Barford 99H

  19. #19Nige2022-04-17 18:16

    OK, so that's the inside of the cab. What about some pics of the outside.? Also, regarding your rear axle parts. Do you have any idea exactly what parts you are looking for.? Differential, axle shafts, steerable axle end housing, etc, etc, or have you not disassembled it yet.?

  20. #20cuttin edge2022-04-17 20:18

    If the lift cylinders are solid, there must be movement some where else, in the saddle or draw bar.

  21. #21averling b2022-04-19 05:20

    More pics. Yet to dismantle it to find trouble

  22. #22Nige2022-04-19 10:37

    Thanks for the pics. I've had some bites as regards parts availability, but this is in the UK. Thing is until you disassemble the rear axle and have a better idea of what you need it's a bit pointless going any further.

  23. #23Nige2022-04-27 14:15

    Any update.? There are some leads on parts availability but they are waiting until you supply more oinformaiton regarding exactly what has failed.

  24. #24averling b2022-04-28 04:38

    Hi, got it dismantled. The left side rear axle has failed at the uni joint.(Cardon joint). Rest of it looks okay . Part no on the axle isfgh76280b

  25. #25Nige2022-04-28 15:19

    Are you still looking for parts.? Is that drive shaft the same Part Number for both sides of the axle or is one side shorter than the other.? I can’t remember if the differential sits in the centre of that axle or not.

  26. #26averling b2022-04-28 18:26

    Left is longer than right. I put in a internet search and Thill Track and Tractor service in the US have a new one for $600US but need to find out what the freight costs . I may also be able to get a secondhand one in Australia but still working on that

  27. #27Nige2022-04-28 18:47

    Now that we know what you need I have put the word around in the UK. Let’s see what turns up.

  28. #28Tones2022-04-28 19:23

    There's 3 outfits in Dubbo who could possibly replace those ends.

  29. #29averling b2022-04-28 19:32

    Thanks Tones but the names of the Dubbo repair shops didn’t come through. I am only 100k from Dubbo so interested.

  30. #30Tones2022-04-28 21:46

    https://driveline.com.au/ This outfit came came up on my search in Dubbo

  31. #31averling b2022-04-30 04:30

    Hallo. It seems that I put in the wrong part no and what I need is not available in the US. Is it possible to fi a new uni (cardon) joint to the axles or are they made as one unit? They have separate parts no.

  32. #32Nige2022-04-30 11:19

    It sounds as though you have a parts manual. How about posting some photos of it so everyone can look at them..?

  33. #33averling b2022-05-02 05:26

    Hallo. It seems that there are two types of joints and axle set up. My type has part of the joint on the end of each half of the axle and the joint is held together by a two part casing clamped together by Allen head bolts. The other type looks like a sealed joint built onto the short(outer) axle and it fits onto a spline on the the inner axle. Still hope to get the parts in Aus but if that falls through will need to look overseas. Regards Mark.

  34. #34Nige2022-05-02 11:43

    That's the type I remember. Can you post a photo of what the Parts Manual shows.?

  35. #35averling b2022-05-02 23:07

    The first pic is what my machine has. Sorry for the repeat pics

  36. #36Nige2022-05-02 23:32

    Can you post a photo of the parts list corresponding to Page 1-24 in your first photo. What exactly happened when yours failed.? Did the Allen bolts #22 break.?

  37. #37averling b2022-05-03 05:28

    Sorry I only have that page of that book. Outer part of joint broke up. Bolts are still tight in the broken pieces. Regards Mark.

  38. #3856wrench2022-05-03 10:18

    So, just one or two of the ‘knobs’ broke off a yoke? Who made the axle assy? Quite often manufacturers get an outside supplier for axle assemblies, transmissions, engines and various hydraulic components, even the big manufacturers do it for some stuff. Is there any kind of mfg logo, tag or casting information on the axle housing under the dirt and paint anywhere? Several European companies made components for manufacturers but can be hard to identify or may be manufacturer specific. Just my 2 cents

  39. #39Nige2022-05-03 10:26

    From what I can remember A-B bought their axles from Kirkstall Forge in Leeds, but that outfit disappeared years ago. That may not be true of this particular axle though, because the 99H model was made under licence from Austin Western so it was probably an A-W design. I think that the u-joint in the 2nd illustration above might have been made in the UK but whether or not it is a direct replacement for a “Gen 1” u-joint I have no idea, but I suspect not.

  40. #40Tones2022-05-03 15:41

    https://universaldriveshafts.com.au/parts-for-purchase/ Have you talked to this business? As others have said those universal ends could be fitments and only the damaged parts need replacing. Just finding it though could be tuff..

  41. #41averling b2022-05-04 07:14

    Will call them tomorrow to see what they can do

  42. #42averling b2022-05-04 18:14

    No luck there. I think I have to find secondhand parts

  43. #43Tones2022-05-07 17:09

    Another supplier https://www.hardyspicer.com.au/driveshafts/driveshaft-components/

  44. #44averling b2022-07-13 03:55

    No luck there. Anybody got any leads on a second hand left rear axle?