Hi.......... New to the forum !! Thinking about purchase of an Austin-Western/Clark Super 500 grader. Seller states "late 70s" model. Seems to have two serial numbers: 1] 566 6824 on Clark plaque and 2] P35 1687 ? Second one is hard to read...not sure of numbers. Second number plaque mentions Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton....Austin-Western Division. Wondering about year of manufacture and any sources of information on equipment and manuals. Is there a brochure out there ?? Any information greatly appreciated. Sources of parts too. Has a 6V71 Detroit Diesel engine...non-turbo...dual exhausts through the engine cover. Seller mentions 6x6 drive and rear steer too. Has a steering wheel. Thank you !!
There was some tieup between Austin Western and Aveling Barford from England and both built the same graders but with different engines. In the 70's they were away ahead of their time and yes constant 6 wheel drive, 6 wheel steer. The steering wheel works in the same manner as a Cat scraper and the rear steer is a lever underneath it. IIRC there was some problems with the front wheel drive once they got some hours up but I can't remember what it was. I do remember tire pressures were critical especially when working on hard surfaces.
Yes, you are correct. The English company licensed the designs and built machines there. I believe that one of the forum members worked at one of the plants in England. Company history: https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/forgotten-companies/austin-western/ FYI...I found a list of Austin-Western grader serial numbers: http://www.tpaktopc.net/PDFs/AW GRADER SERIAL NUMBER GUIDE.pdf Thank you for your response.
FYI, note that the unclear, second serial number plaque is attached to the scarifier assembly....perhaps more like a part number. In any case, the 566 number is the serial number of the grader itself.
I'm in New Zealand. Just brought this .branded as a Aveling Barford SG500 6x6. Believe it maybe common to the Austin Western super 500.trying to source some transfer case parts
I think Nige started his career at Aveling Barford.