Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

auto awd question

mbavers ยท 2019-02-14 14:57

I know this is the wrong place, but I don't know where else to go. I tried the Kia forum but can't navigate it! I have a 2008 Kia Sportage. The HECU (which controls ABS and AWD) is bad. There is a recall on it and I have to drive 240 miles to the dealer. The AWD symbol (schematic showing axle and wheels) is flashing green, indicating that I don't have AWD working. My question is, if I drive it like this will I do any damage to the AWD system. I would think that since it is flashing green (rather than amber like the ABS symbol) it should be OK to drive, but I don't want to break anything. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1fast_st2019-02-14 18:28

    Not likely harmful but if its under a recall and acting up, call the dealer and ask, they may send a ramp out to pick it up and maybe be nice enough to drop off a rental car!

  2. #2mbavers2019-02-14 22:13

    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I called KIA and am waiting for them to call back. I have a feeling I'll be driving to the dealer.

  3. #3_Weldman_2019-02-15 10:07

    Get a Subaru and call it a day.

  4. #4KSSS2019-02-15 10:14

    I also agree it wont likely damage anything, you just wont have 4X4. It is likely just an actuator failing. I doubt you will get Kia to pick it up in Homer, Alaska but if they do let us know!

  5. #5mbavers2019-02-15 13:06

    Yes, there are a lot of Subarus in AK, and most of them more than 5 years old need new head gaskets!

  6. #6mbavers2019-02-15 13:08

    KIA just called me and said they might be sending a technician out to me. I was dumbfounded, as it is a 5 1/2 hour drive one way from Anchorage, but they said they do it all the time in AK.

  7. #7heymccall2019-02-15 15:25

    Recall says risk of fire. Doesnt indicate a "stop driving", like some recalls on other vehicles have. https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2008-Kia-Sportage/recalls/

  8. #8mbavers2019-02-15 15:32

    Yes, I believe your interpretation is correct. I told them I could drive to the dealer, but they seem intent on sending someone out. They're probably afraid of liability in the event of fire.