My service truck has 4004eh. Hands down the largest maintenance issue (time wise) is dealing with broken wires inside the cable or in the plug end. I want to convert to wireless and was looking for opinions on which way to go. I see that BB Cranes has the kit for $1000 to $1500 dollars. I am okay with that. I think I payed about that amount last time I just replaced the wired unit. I was just wondering if it is worth it when I see four function remote kits on Amazon for less than $200.
I bought the unit from BBCranes. Best decision I ever made. Super easy install. And I actually use the crane about twice as much as I used to because I don't have to mess around with the cables. Also, when I decided to go remote with the crane control, I had to spend about three days under a D11. I got so sick of crawling in and out from under that machine in order to turn the air compressor on or off that I also found a way to make it remote control. I can now start and stop my air compressor from further away than the hose reel will reach. Comes in handy at my yard when people stop by to jibber jabber. I just reach into my pocket and start the compressor and tell them, "apparently the truck thinks that I need to get back to work."
I somehow missed this when you first posted it, I would have suggested a Kar-tech remote, that’s what I use on my IMT and I’ve been pleased with it. Half the price of the IMT factory remote and radio and function is equivalent. Sounds like you made a good choice with the one you went with and it’s working well. I can’t imagine going back to a tethered remote as Ive has wireless for 10 years now.
Yes, it was Kar-tech. I adore it. I really do not have much appreciation for the way the power and ground work on this crane. The hot wire is just a half assed brush system below the pedestal. And the ground is just a bolt against the brass turntable gear. I keep meaning to put wired power and ground to the unit because I almost never need to spin it 360 degrees. But work gets in the way.
I know this is an old post but I've used some of the $130 8 function wireless systems off Amazon with hit and miss success. The one in particular I've used has been great, except for one small circuit board that isn't well attached inside the control box, have had several that the circuit board in question came unglued and was being held by just a couple wires with poor solder connections. I was able to resolder said connections and and ziptie the board on. For $130 I just bought 2 more to have as backup as my sub pat field solder job didn't hold up forever. Besides that the unit has been great, I'm using it on a skid steer trench paving attachment so it is exposed to the elements 24/7, and lots of vibration. I'm going to add another to our hydro vac truck to control 8 functions as well. Currently it has a wired remote but wireless would make it much more convenient.