Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Auto sock instead of chains?

crane operator ยท 2019-01-15 20:26

I saw these for sale on a truck parts site, and went looking at them online, and found a youtube video. Has anyone ever used these? I can't believe they would cut through ice like chains would, but I'm just curious if anyone has any real world experience.

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2019-01-15 21:07

    It's a P.O.S.

  2. #2RZucker2019-01-15 21:27

    they might be helpful in sand? Got the F800 stuck in dry sand once and 4 pairs of coveralls got me out. Alsco was not impressed.

  3. #3Old Doug2019-01-15 21:54

    Put socks on over your shoes and find some ice. I remember people doing this.

  4. #4wornout wrench2019-01-16 01:37

    Now that you mention it, we used to put a pair of wool socks on over our shoes if we had to climb onto a wet cedar roof. Those shingles could get mighty slippery. But I really have my doubts if the "Socks" will work on a set of tires. All I know is I would hate to be the guy spun out in the semi at the front of the line blocking traffic when the cops show up.

  5. #5DB22019-01-16 07:08

    They claim to be DOT approved

  6. #6Camshawn2019-01-16 19:32

    Supposed to have a short life span (several hundred miles) Transit is trying them on the local busses this winter for a route up to Simon Fraser university on the top of a small mountain. We will see. Cam

  7. #7pushbroom2019-01-16 20:01

    Auto chains would be a better less effort option. Nothing will top real chains tho. I have heard of the socks not working well/ ripping under hard use.