Hi looking for some help on selecting the right 200 amp 3 phase 120/208 outdoor transfer switch to use with a Magnum 55 genset.It is on a farm and the plan is to install at a pole that has several services branching out from the transformers.Each service terminates at a main distribution panel.Wanting to keep it as basic as possible
Asco 300 series or any industrial style ATS that uses 2 wire start would be what you need. It being a Magnum portable unit; Are you planning on hooking it up and leaving it in auto or just plugging in when the power is already out? Asking because of the need for 2 wire start, battery charger, etc. and if you plan on installing camlocks or hardwiring it in.
The genset came with long cam lock leads so I am planning on using the flexible cam lock leads for quick disconnect if I ever need the genset to be mobile and the rest would be hard wired. I noticed when I was looking at generac switches there seems to be a difference between Canada and USA on some of switches as in certified or not certified for use in Canada?
Don't know on the USA/Canada certification, that would likely be an electrical code thing. What Generac switch are you looking at? If it's the small home standby style, you'll likely need to buy and install a 2 wire start converter. Kohler, Generac and Briggs all use their own remote start systems between the gen and ATS.
I was looking at the 200 amp 3 phase 120/208 but electrical supply place called me today and said it’s not available in a service entrance model.Got a quote for a ASCO switch for 3500.00 but it’s not in a outdoor cabinet.The Nema 3 cabinet jumped the price to 6500.00 and 14-18 week wait. Thompson 920 switch 3500.00 8-10 week wait Manual is starting to look good if I can find one in stock for not stupid money new or used
Check with Metro Systems over in Surrey. They used to do a lot of surplus but had gone away from it for a while. Not sure if they got back into it as I retired. Surplus SURPLUS CONTACT US EXPERIENCE Metro Systems has been selling Surplus Electrical for over 40 years. SELECTION If you can't find what you need here we will source one for you. DELIVERY We deliver locally and North America wide. ELECTRICIANS Our sales team are Electricians, they know what you need... metrosystems.ca
Thanks just sent them a request
Nothing new or used in auto switch and nothing new or used in manual switch
We threw out a few at work over the years. It was too complicated to sell them for electrical surplus so into the scrap metal bin they went. I wish I had been able to score one for home but that avenue was closed to us.
Even going manual so far the electrical supplier has not been able to come up with the parts to do it. Would this be a one off type installation.I have a manual 30 amp existing which is a 30 amp main breaker and a 30 amp hydro /disconnected/generator 3 position mechanical switch.Seems to me the only change should be upping the amps to 200 on both of them and bobs your uncle.What am I missing?
You could put a main switch in then you are not limited to a service entrance rating on your transfer switch. Is your total service for all your buildings only 200 amps? I built a small 4 foot square building for a service on a farm 10 yrs ago that fed out to the main house and the barns. The meter base was on the pole and the rest was in the dry shed.
There is actually 5 main distribution panels running off that pole and set of transformers.In a power outage the house and my well would be the important ones and that would be well under 200 amps.The other ones would be at most a light or 2. My meter is at the road where hydro enters the property.I have a disconnect right at the road as well.Building a tiny shelter for the electrical equipment versus weather proof enclosures is a good idea.The existing is a box inside a weather proof box if that makes sense.
A little bit of info in case someone else is struggling with the same.The info I got from electrical supplier is that generac makes service entrance switches for all single phase and all 3 phase except 3 phase 120/208.Not sure why that would be.Thanks for the input I received on my question