Here is a pic of an Autocar that I hope is mine next week. 1965 A64 model, with NH250 Cummins, married aluminum case 8054 front and 8345c auxiliary with air shift. SQHD rears on walking beam/biscuit. Note it has glass fenders with dual headlights very unusual in those years. I gave up on the B-71 Mack, the owner was told it an heirloom worth a fortune so there it will sit rotting. Truck Shop
That would be a pretty truck all fixed up and painted. So would that be a 5 speed in front with a 4 behind it (I didn't recognize the #'s are they from a brownie?). I've got sqhd rockwell's on a couple of my cranes, with just a walking beam rear. I'm always loaded (crane) so I don't know how they would ride empty. My old winch truck is walking beam under spring, and it rides pretty rough, but no air bags leaking! Looks like a pretty good stack of springs under the front end also. Is it 22.5, or 24.5 rubber? or still running 20" lock ring rims? I have a hard time finding rubber for my one crane still on 20". Not a problem if I order it, but I need my own spare's at the shop, because no one stocks them. I always like to see trucks from different manufacturers. It's mostly pete, KW, and freightliner you see all the time, so I like seeing Autocar, Brockway, Marmon, Western Star, etc, just b/c they're different.
That's a rare car, don't see many with the glass fenders. Looks to be in good shape, won't take much to make it perfect.
Thanks for the interest. The third numeral in a Spicer transmission model number represents how many speeds that transmission has. The letter at the end of auxiliary/brownie number represents ratio. For example the common 8341D brownie has a wide ratio between 1st/deep under and 2nd/under. The ratios in that gear box is [deep under-2.38 under-1.21 direct-1.00 overdrive-0.80. If it was a 8341G the ratios would be deep-1.60 under-1.22 direct-1.00 o-drive-0.80. The 8341D was good for on-off road the 8341G is called a progressive with even splits and is a great highway gear box. I will change the tires out to low-pro 22.5 with aluminum wheels. Finding one of these puppies is pretty hard to do anymore, not many A-cars left laying around. Truck Shop
Shame about the B-71, why is it people will think something is worth too much but then just let it sit and rot away?
The NH250 Cummins, is that the 250 without the turbo? I can't remember.
Yes, basic 855 Cummins. About as simple and reliable as they come.
That's a good question the only answers I can come with is greed or ego. I have run into this situation so many times in the past fifteen years. The old trucks are great and have some historical value but only to the ones who care. I refuse to pay unreasonable prices no matter how odd or unusual the truck is. When people are willing to pay unreal prices, simply put their fools and someone is smiling with a hand full of cash. I know where there are some nice old trucks just setting melting away. It takes allot of time and money to redo an old Diesel Car, because of that you can't pay a ridiculous price. Who knows I may not own this one in the end. Truck Shop
Nice find Truck Shop ! Hope you get it bought rite to where it can be restored . Will you keep the bed on it or remove for 5th wheel ? Oil field / Rig up bed ? The possibilities are endless for a truck like that in the rite hands .:thumbsup
Hi td25c! The be bed is gone it was moved onto a newer truck six years ago. This truck has been setting in what they call their dead line, one of four setting in the weeds. It ran when it was parked, and just a fifthwheel. Truck Shop
Still dickering on that old girl. But I did find out it's been molested. It now has a 335, 13sp and a 4spd brownie. And it is a 1965. Truck Shop
Sounding better all the time.