Would it be a good idea to start up in a small car shop prior to going for Heavy Equipment? (Working on Cars/Light Trucks first, prior to Heavy Machinery and Heavy Duty Trucks)???? I have a good understanding of Mechanical work. work on my car all the time. But Heavy Equipment Repair is where I want to be. It's rugged, pays well, decent benefits, good workout, and always able to play in the environment and challenge you from what I've gathered. All the places I've looked into, including the IUOE require schooling prior to entry, or prior Experience. Would working in Automotive work for gaining experience?
I'm gonna say maybe for the most part , especially if it's a fleet, and you can form some sort of segue into the HE. I actually did that with a ski area, took a job maintaining their fleet of pickup trucks and sleds, but constantly looking over the shoulders of the snowcat mechanics and helping every chance I could. My next step was into a snowcat mechanic position when it came along. But definitely get in an auto shop if that's your only repair related option. It will give you a chance to build your tool box, just plan for a future in big stuff and buy lots of 3/8 and 1/2" tools don't mess with the 1/4" that rules automotive. And automotive will get you learning computer basics, that stuff will follow you every where. A boost pressure sensor on a ford 2.3 is essentially the same as the one on a CAT C-10. Basically if you set a goal to work on certain equipment, you can get there. Just always have a wrench in your hand. A few years of wrenching cars will look way better than time spent banging nails ect. on your resume. And spend your days working on cars, then at night read a text book on hydraulics or diesel engines, your library has them. I was once turned down for a truck mechanic job because my resume sounded like I was "more of a dirt equipment guy". Now I'm going on 6 1/2 years of working on trucks, my next goal is to jump to fire engines. Set your mind to it and do it, that's why your tool box has wheels.
Mr.Mechanic, I'd say yes and no. Muffler is dead on in what he says. It gives you time to get educated in the basics of mechanics, build your tool box up and build your knowledge. If you are really serious about getting into the heavy equipment mechanic field, one of the best things that I have found to do is start out as a helper/apprentice and work your way up. I worked for the same company for 12 years before I left. Started out riding with my father on Saturdays helping him. When I got old enough to drive, I worked in the shop sweeping floors, driving parts, pressure washing equipment, and oil changes and light maintenance work. The guys that I worked with back then were some of the best I've seen. Take the initiative and show them that you are willing to learn and work.
Learn as much as you can. There are a lot of places on the web for training and your napa might put on some classes. Look at maby some welding classes also. I started out as an aircraft mechanic for 10 years and got layed off. If you get on with a smaller company you will have to work on every thing from a pick up to a dozer,welding painting and fabrication. I enjoy the challenge.
Thank you everyone, the replies and information are all greatly appreciated! =)
experience is experience, as long as you want to learn and are open minded you can learn alot in a automotive shop. I worked ten years in automotive dealerships and independant shops I learned things in all of them. So now that I run and fix my own equipment, it puts me ahead of other owner operators that cant. But as Muffler Bearing said your tool box has wheels and you dont have to stay at an automotive job forever.
Thank you everyone for the info. =)
I started out in a Ag custom out fit as mechanic helper. I got to work on everything from employees cars and pick up trucks to combines and tractors to excavators and buldozers and more Everything was done in house,wrenching,welding, machining and adapting/building/modefying of whatever we used or needed.I got to do it all That was the best schooling i ever had.I never had a problem finding another job after that,i never held a license though. And I'm never stuck that i can't fix something.
I started at an equipment rental yard. You will probably start as a a yard man. (loading and unloading) customers or a wash rack attendant. I started as a shop class B mechanic, A mechanic, field service truck then shop foreman. I left the business for about 2.5 years then returned to the field truck for 7 more then opened my business full time a little over 3 years ago.JJ