Hello all, I am in need to replace my auxiliary hydraulic lines going to the extend a hoe. I was planning on having these made before disassembling and already know the fitting size/type going to the quick connectors. However, the other end that goes in the pipe running along the boom I have not been able to see it because I am lacking a good 35 mm wrench to loosen the connection. The fixed end on this hose accepts a 32 mm spanner. If I could determine this I can have the hoses made in advance. Just trying to gain some time here. Part no is AT308466 and my local JD dealer doesn't have any. Was to told to fabricate them. So, it's either buying a 35 mm (1 3/8") in a rush or letting the good friends here at HEF help with their experience. Thanks for your help.
The male end of hose part # AT308466 has a -12 flat face o-ring part # T77858 installed . The female end of the hose connects to an adapter which also uses a -12 flat face oring part # T77858. The JD dealer has access to the build specs of most hydraulic hoses used on Deere equipment,I guess that particular hose didn’t make the list…..strange. .
Hello Diesel Dave, Thanks much again for your help. With that information I may venture and have at least one fabricated/done. These are equal for pressure and return. Well, yes, my JD dealer didn't give any more information. I did see on another website (AV Spare) some information on the id and the length (130 3/4"). But nothing about the type/size on fittings. The existing ones are Aeoroquip brand. I would like to source equal or similar quality since these hoses bend and flex a lot. I have heard there are ultra flexible ones too with at least 2"-4" bending radius in 5/8" id. Much appreciated again for your kind help
This should have been at their fingertips.
Hello mg2361, Thanks for always chipping in. Well, I guess I am all by myself here. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to buy stuff from the JD local dealer, it is not of much help. I find myself looking elsewhere for information and replacement parts. Your help and that from other folks here at HEF is priceless as I have mentioned before. I am pretty much aware now of what to ask for from whatever hose repair/fabricator I chose tomorrow. These hoses were, in my opinion, either badly installed or they moved away. There's this pinch point where the hoses get bent beyond their capacity (see photo) causing a lot of stress when the dipper is completely lifted. I am thinking I might make them have more room so bending is not extreme. Other issue is I might ask for a 45 degree female fitting where it attaches to the quick connectors. I feel that bulge there is unnecessary and also takes away hose length necessary on that "S" pattern. What are your thoughts?
Too much hose at the coupler and not enough at the "S". The hose guard should also be stretched from clamp to clamp and attached to said clamps with a large zip tie. I am off today, but will take a photo of how the hoses are routed on a new machine and I'll post it. Might not be until Monday.
Good morning, Thanks for your reply. That's what I have been thinking for so long and am glad it's confirmed by you. That's the kind of stuff that pops up when you get a used machine with no knowledge of past servicing. I read in a few places these hoses as 130.75" long. I measured the aux one yesterday and got about 138" which should be more than enough to route them properly? BTW, the one leaking is the hose going to the bucket curl cylinder. Didn't know until the protective cover was removed. Will replace them both. I will wait for your photo. Thanks!
Do the clamps fit tightly on the hoses? The tight bends after the clamps are way too tight. I'm wondering if the hoses were loose in clamps and got pulled through the clamps resulting in the tight bends. If the tight bends can't be avoided you can get steel spring or flat steel strap type protectors that go over the hose that limit how tight the hose can be bent. There is more flexible hose available too. It's commonly used on things like forklifts where the hose wraps a round a hose reel as the carriage is raised and lowered.
While the coupler location is different, the hose routing is the same.
Hello Dave, Thanks for your input. Yes, that side clamp was way too tight for these hoses. The clamps are tight although I suspect these go thru a lot of stress. I purchased additional for the other side last year and installed them correctly. This other side looks like it was pulled somehow. I realize now this municipal backhoe wasn't treated too well. Looks it was used for demolition work as I have discovered scratches all over compatible with rebar and/or steel debris. You're correct, I am about to purchase spiral type polyethylene covers to install in addition to the nylon protector it comes standard. Was also offered forklift hose but they didn't have that size available. These are 1" OD. However, any good quality hydraulic hose with flexibility designed into it should do OK. 4 inch bend radius. As long as it is installed correctly. mg2361 just sent a picture of the correct arrangement.
Good morning, What a beautiful shiny new machine. Wish I had the money sitting around for one of those. Thanks for the photo. I can get the following observations: 1. My hoses very very probably were the original ones (Aeroquip FC735 Bruiser). Same as in the photo. 12 years in service seems plenty? 2. The upper hose bracket on my backhoe was either bent up and repaired different from the new one in your picture. Need to assess that. (These are pricey if you can get one from JD, over $300) The hose clamps on mine are oriented 90 degrees from the ones in that new machine. 3. Yes, the hyd coupler location sits higher on your new backhoe and it has what it looks as an additional smaller hose maybe for case drain? That location could possibly be because that dipper stick has a bracket for a thumb? 4. Crowd cylinder has clamp securing the rod end hose. Mine is missing. 5. There's a little bracket on the sides for the telescope cylinder hoses that might be bent on mine. Need to correct that too. 6. What a beautiful sight is a new unit. Thanks much for your help!
Here's a picture of the upper bracket. I guess this is the one that get bent first by "operators"
The plastic spiral hose wrap won't limit the bend radius like a steel spring will. It will help a little though. I thought the clamps may be to loose on the hose. Hose is always measured by the ID but 4" bend radius is really tight for that size of hose. It would be better to use a longer hose and make a bigger loop that isn't so tight.
I might ask for those metal spring protectors tomorrow when I visit the hydraulics shop. The PE spirals are really intended for chaffing/abrasion resistance against the other boom/dipper parts. The hose clamps are doing their job. It's the hose routing and length what is causing the problem. My mention on the OD is for purpose of the clamps and spiral protectors. Also, I don't expect to cause these 5/8" ID hoses to bend to their minimum radius of 4". But sourcing hose material that will permit that kind of bending will certainly help too. I will have them fabricated a bit longer but not too much. I was hoping someone would have gone this route before for insight on a reasonable additional length. The original supposedly is 130.75" and I am thinking going to about 140" OAL. Thanks for your additional input. It is appreciated.
4" is tight for 5/8" hose. Longer hose with bigger loops could be a simple solution. Just need to make sure the hoses won't get snagged easily.
So, I got and installed the second hose (the one for the auxiliary hydraulic return) today which was made about 138 inches OAL. (See also the 45 degree fitting on the coupler) It's a bit frustrating because I am dealing with beat up clamps and out of shape brackets. In addition, fighting with the natural "coilness" of new and flexible hoses is a bear. Took me a lot of twisting and head scratching to fashion that "S" shape to be functional and look neat. I don't love the way it finally was set but I think it will do the job. Maybe 138" is a tad too long. Other thoughts are being careful when operating and driving the machine. These hoses seem to be prone to snags with almost everything. Especially here in my property where there are plenty of trees with low branches. But, heck, the extended hoe comes handy with the attached brush cutter. I am ordering parts to fix the other side and also secure the hose on the bucket cylinder. Hopefully this will keep the hoses in place. And, yes, new nylon protector sleeves and additional spiral protectors too.
That is a lot of hoses to try and keep from snagging on something.
You're right It's a frequent concern
The OEM hydraulic hoses price is steep…no doubt it is best quality but…just the hose without fittings.
Almost $17/ft. is really pricey. I'm sure there is less expensive hose that has abrasion resistance. If abrasion is a concern you can put the kevlar sleeve over the hose.
Hello Dave, Yes, certainly I did purchase the less expensive and locally available Gates MTX brand. Even so, one hose came to $195 with the fittings and crimping for 138" OAL
One of the hoses. Hyd return
^^^^^^ Good stuff.
Maybe the prices are high because it's in Puerto Rico.
Well, yes...most everything is more expensive here compared to the mainland. I guess Hawaii goes through the same treatment due to having to ship everything by maritime transportation.