Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

average wage for grading foreman in So Cal?

surfsup ยท 2016-01-20 23:33

I'm interested in knowing the average hourly rate for a nonunion grading foreman in So Cal. I'm a foreman for a small grading company, which means I do everything; coordinate, check grade, operate, mechanic, paper work, paper work, coordinate..... They give me a nice truck and pretty much stay out of my way because I get it done. Problem is that I make the same rate as some of our operators, 30/hr (about my rate 25 years ago). I remember the days of just operating, clock in clock out. Now it's about 10 hrs of work for an eight-hour day. My options are to get a raise or ask to just run equipment. I'd like a better understanding of the industry standard for this area. Not interested in salary, when I'm off, I'm off (kinda, except for all the phone calls). I like the company that I work with and I've never had the luxury of sitting in my truck to do paperwork (homework).

Replies5
  1. #1RonG2016-01-21 04:10

    I only made about half that much and not sure if I was a foreman or not but I used to go in with grade stakes and usually a dozer and roller/compactor and sometimes a grader and get the site ready for paving.Sometimes the paving company would do their own grading,depending on who it was.My foreman/owner would often get compliments on my work from the paving foreman.Sooooo,not sure what I was and I usually worked alone.Ron G

  2. #2jprefect2016-01-21 04:29

    A couple friends of mine work for a company out of MN make about $125000 a yr but that is salary. The guy at my company make a $1 hr more than operator. They would have to pay me a lot more than that

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2016-01-24 18:58

    Well, in the non union non prevailing wage world, you are close tot the average, as I know it. Same or slightly better than the top operators, plus a truck and fuel card, some insurance, and the foreman will always work. Some out here are doing better, and many not quite as good.

  4. #4surfsup2016-01-24 22:47

    Thanks, Good to hear from someone in So Cal. It just makes me wonder if it's worth it. I mean if I could make the same thing JUST running equipment, why am I putting myself through the headaches of a foreman position? It's a lot more responsibility and I put in a lot of free time (kinda hard to charge for spending hours going through plans and doing homework). It's just a lot more work/time. I gotta really think this over going into the new year. Like I said, I like the company, they treat me great. Decisions....decisions......

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2016-01-24 22:59

    If you wish to get into more detail, send me a PM and we can talk. Can't go into too many details on an open forum