I posted a few pictures of this machine before when driving by. I had a chance to stop and chat with the operator today. I took a few more pictures. I asked him how old the grader was and he told me that on the registration it said 1971. I think its older than that. Whats your thoughts guys?
Some more
I belive that machine is older than that. I Thinks its what was called a Super 300. From the late 40s and early 50s. The mower is probably a 70s model and they registered it off that. . Our county had a 12 Cat one time with a hydraulic and cable mower in the middle. They sold it 2 years ago for 2500. Made the workers mad because it would out reach the newer tractors.
You might have to call CSI St. John and get it carbon dated. lol :tong
I like the duals on the work side, any chance you can get a picture of the whole machine?
Yeah, he found with the single wheels it was breaking up the shoulders, plus made it way more stable with the duals. Next time I run into him I will take a picture of the whole machine. . You could be right. Notice the steering wheel..never seen one like that before. Wish I would have aimed the camera up a bit..Photography isn't my speciality..lol
Alot of them had duals on both axles and w wheel steering. I saw the handle bars lol.
He was telling me that he got the grader for practically nothing. He paid $1500.00 for the cutter attachment and did all the work installing it etc. himself. There was 4 levers originally for the cutter and he found that to be a pain..so he rigged up the 2 handles for the controls..the first handle is 4 way. Smart guy and it sure was interesting talking to him. He really makes a good dollar with this as he not only works for us but other companies as well. Charges around $100.00 per hour. Said it gets pretty warm in there on the hot days. I can see why as there is no floor board in it..and he has to keep the door closed on the cutter side...lol
Maybe - 1969 AUSTIN-WESTERN SUPER 300 http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=7265756 I thought this was interesting http://www.sanjuancounty.org/archives/Commission%20Minutes%20-%20html/8January1968.htm The bid of Western Road Machinery is as follows: 1 - Austin Western Super 300 Power Grader of 143 hp. G.M.C. 4-71 Diesel Engine 011 Clutch, Complete Cab, Front & Rear Windshield Wipers, H.D. Heating, Defroster, 60 amp Alternator, 2 headlights, 2 tail lights, 1 Dashlight, Hour Meter, Orbital Steering, 11 Tooth Scarifier, 13' Mollboard, 1400-24 12 Ply tires - tube type, Super 400 Wheels $26,882.00 1 - Giant "V" Plow 2,032.00 1 - Snow Wing Mounted 2,625.00 Automatic Radiator Shutters 125.00 $31,664.00 Freight to Monticello 1,000.00 32,664.00 Less Trade for Cat 12 8,300.00 $24,500.00 Salesman: /s/ W. A. Bubel Buyer: San Juan County By: /s/ Marion H. Hazleton
Wow! looks identical alright. Well, that must be the year of the old girl. As said the registration says 1971 so it must be right or close. I really thought it was older. Thanks for the info!
Hmm, that Super 300 link showed a tandem rear axle version. The one you took pics of clearly only had single rear axle G4m, kind of like that Pacer 300 we stumbled across. Doesn't mean the one you saw was a Pacer though, I wouldn't know. I think Dwan Hall has an AW, can't remember if his is single or tandem rear axle. I'd say that fellow does real well with that brush cutter setup compared to smaller tractor versions. Nice work.
All Pacers are single rear axle machines, all Supers are tandem machines. All single rear axle machines are Pacers, all tandem machines are Supers. Dwan Hall and I run identical 1962 Super 300s (Super 366s to be specific) even though his looks much nicer. The Austin Western was sold into the 70's, then it was called the clark up into the 80's, then the volvo 115,116
I think the brush cutter was made by Roanoke Mfg out of NC. I'll see if I have some pics.