Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Awesome site!

cattracks ยท 2014-05-31 00:16

Where has this site been all my life? I have wondered through this site and find it to be incredible, full of knowledgeable people who are willing to help others. I have one for you guys: I live in Thailand and bought a D21A-7 a few months back (used). I hesitated on the purchase as it has rubber tracks and I've never ran a Dozer with rubber pads. The Dozer never had any guides to keep the track in-line with the idler and sprocket and I threw the tracks to many times. I could never get a price from the Komatsu shop so, I built them. The tracks were imho wore pretty bad (mostly from the material I'm working in) and I ripped out many cross links. I have the tracks off and noticed that the front idlers had a lot of slop. While I'm still in search for rails and pads, I would like to replace the bushings in the those front idlers. I've removed them from the yoke and built a rack to place them in for disassembly. I got the end caps off and...that's as far as I made it. Does anybody know how to pull this little bitch apart? The bolt on one end of the shaft had oil behind it but, it gave me no clue on getting it apart!! I'm kind-of-a hammer guy but thought I'd check on here prior. There a VERY few Dozers here in Thailand, they do everything with excavators and farm tractors with push blocks...thus, no parts availability without going through a Dealer and shipping from Japan. I've actually purchased some parts + shipping cheaper from the states than the prices here (CRAZY huh?) This site is awesome and I thank whoever for letting me join. Sorry for being so windy, to finally find people with Heavy Equipment experience and English speaking ta-boot. I'm jacked!!! Cattracks

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2014-05-31 00:57

    When you say removed the End Caps, do you mean A) the outer plates with four bolts and a few shims behind them or do you mean B) you've removed the idler guides and you're now looking at a shaft sticking out either side of the idler? If (A) then you need to remove the idler guides. They're held on by a tapered pin held in by a nut which you'll see on the top surface of the idler guide. Once you've got the pin out, you'll need to fabricate some sort of puller arrangement to bolt to the idler guide and push it off the shaft. If (B) then you need to dig the dirt out of the round collar on both sides and remove a ring of bolts (6 maybe?) then drive the shaft out of either side.

  2. #2cattracks2014-05-31 01:08

    "A" I've removed the four bolts on each side and the caps. Saw those pins and nuts and wondered what they were for. I did shoot them with some oil and backed one most of the way off realized it was only a pin. Do I drive that out from the threaded side or from the bottom (flush)? I'll have to ponder the "puller arrangement"

  3. #3Cmark2014-05-31 01:32

    You need to smite the threaded end to get it out. It'll be in tight and you'll probably bugger it up in the process. Your puller will need to be in the form of a piece of plate, say 3/4" thick drilled to bolt to the four holes that hold the outer plate on. Over the centre of the shaft, another hole maybe 1" dia with a nut welded on top through which you can thread a forcing screw. Welcome to the forum by the way. Post up some photos. Everyone loves a challenge and some new scenery :thumbsup

  4. #4cattracks2014-05-31 03:29

    Thank you kind Sir and...I'm sorry, I thought about my question afterwards and realized how stupid it was. Of course it goes that way, Duh!!! I'm not in a big push on the idlers as, I'm still trying to locate rails and pads but, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thank you big time, Sir!!!!!