Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

axle spread on dump truck

Welder Dave ยท 2016-10-25 01:11

What are the pro's and cons of having the tandems spaced further apart?

Replies7
  1. #1hvy 1ton2016-10-25 01:27

    Are you talking canadian or 10'1" spread? In the US 59" spread gets an extra 1k lbs axle gross, 10'1 gets an extra 6k lbs axle gross. No idea on the numbers for Canada, but probably in that ballpark.

  2. #2Welder Dave2016-10-25 01:54

    I'd be using the truck off road but wonder if the wider spaced drive axles are a good or bad choice. I'm going to an auction tomorrow hoping to get a decent older truck. There's a 94 IH 9300 with wider spaced axles and Reyco suspension. This truck was listed at a dealer way more than I want to spend but at auction who knows? It has a 3406B and 15 speed so I think would work if the price was right. It's the 1st on the block of the older trucks. Also wondering about Neway air ride off road.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2016-10-25 02:43

    I really like Neway for on/off road use wish everything had it. Don't know much about reyco, but if it's a double leaf spring setup i'd pass. I can tell you two things that don't work well off pavement, are pete low-leaf and the ironically named flex air/AG380.

  4. #4grandpa2016-10-25 07:31

    The wider the axle spacing, the longer the turning radius. Working off road this may be a concern.

  5. #5CableDW10cat2016-10-25 08:09

    I would pass on the reyco for dirt work.

  6. #6Welder Dave2016-10-25 09:22

    Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with the closer axles and Hendricksen suspension.

  7. #7Truck Shop2016-10-25 19:53

    The 60" spread beam biscuit has one real advantage it gets around real well off road. Neway air ride is good. The one cool thing about it is the hangers on the housings will accept walking beam suspension, easy change over. Truck Shop