Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Axles for Cat 287B

Degolyerent · 2020-06-02 21:50

I need to replace axles and bogie wheels on 287B and was wondering which ones give better service life? I see single bearing, double bearing And Bair axle assemblies. The ones that were on it was double bearing greasable but they were in terrible condition. Maybe someone with experience in this matter could offer some advice. The 14” on either end still are holding oil but need replacement wheels.

Replies16
  1. #1f311fr12020-06-05 19:01

    I have an ASV RC100 with the same under carriage. I run the Bair idlers and axles at all 4 corners and six out of 10 bogie assemblies. I have the other 4 bogie assemblies ready to install when I change the tracks in a few months. Tip, if you do go with the Bair assemblies the small piece of tubing that acts as a guard for the grease fitting on the axle assembly is prone to bending to the point you can't get a grease gun on the grease fitting. You basically need to cut them off and weld on something stronger.

  2. #2Degolyerent2020-06-05 19:55

    Are you running the aluminum wheels? Are you familiar with the DuroForce wheels? I have been reading all I can but it seems the MTL undercarriage leaves a lot to be desired. I bought my 287b knowing it needed a new undercarriage so the price was a lot lower.

  3. #3f311fr12020-06-05 20:35

    Yes I run the metal wheels. I have run a few of the DuroForce wheels and was less than pleased with the durability Track Loader parts did warranty the busted wheels but it is a PITA to change them

  4. #4Degolyerent2020-06-06 02:50

    Thanks so much for the information on the wheels. My idler axles still had oil in them and the bearings & seals seem to be good. I was thinking about changing up to 250wt.gear oil instead of 90 wt.

  5. #5f311fr12020-06-06 09:10

    The heavier weight oil should be better in FL with the heat.

  6. #6Nige2020-06-06 10:10

    Are you talking about an SAE 250 gear oil or an ISO.? The only thing to be careful with regarding heavier oils is that they don't flow so well into the smaller spaces. A much heavier oil (if it is an SAE 250 you are thinking about) might actually provide worse lubrication than an SAE 90 in that particular assembly. Bear in mind that the OEM spec for that compartment is an SAE 30 engine grade that is equivalent in viscosity to an SAE 80 gear oil. If you wanted to stick with gear oil maybe something like an SAE 85W/140 would be the way to go..?

  7. #7Degolyerent2020-06-06 11:41

    SAE 250 is what was used in classic vehicles way back for rear ends. I also have read that some people had converted the gear oil filled axles to grease filled. I was just wondering if SAE 250 would lube good and not tend to leak past seals. One thing for sure is I don’t want to make matters worse. Thanks for your reply all input is definitely good.

  8. #8Nige2020-06-06 11:58

    At the risk of stating the obvious - a 287B could not be considered as a "classic vehicle" in any way, shape, or form. IMHO an SAE 250 would be too heavy by an order of magnitude for this application. I guess the question is are you having lubrication issues with your current axle shafts..? Here's the Drive Train lubricants table for the latest generation of 287 (C & D models). It should be backwards-compatible with a 287B. Calls for a multigrade engine oil (DEO - Diesel Engine Oil) in the idler shafts. Maybe this is to overcome any "cold startup" issues..? I don't know what other people are using.

  9. #9Degolyerent2020-06-06 17:11

    Nige I bought my 287b recently knowing that the undercarriage was in need of replacement. I have been reading that the design is a maintenance nightmare and that the oil filled axles have a history of the seals leaking. I have also read that the design was changed to a grease filled axle. My bogies have a plate welded on them that reads grease filled and my idler axles have a plate welded on them that read oil filled. The bogie axles have no lubricant in them whatsoever and have came completely apart. The idler axles still had oil in them. I was rebuilding the undercarriage and have read about the inherent problems with bearing lubrication and was trying to put together a workable solution to the problems that I have read about. Thankfully I will be the only operator and will do my best to operate wisely and keep it lubricated and clean after heavy usages. Thanks for the chart of recommend oil types. Can you tell me what type of grease the bogie axles use? They have plugs in them but I see no grease fittings. I understand that the Bair design have larger bearings and have grease fittings. I am only wanting to purchase something that last.

  10. #10Nige2020-06-06 17:32

    Sounds like you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They can be downloaded from Cat for about $50. If you post a Serial Number then the correct manual could be identified.

  11. #11Nige2020-06-06 17:33

    Let's see some photos of the plates you refer to.

  12. #12Degolyerent2020-06-06 18:01

    Serial # zsa02773

  13. #13f311fr12020-06-06 19:37

    Bair uses larger diameter axle shafts and larger bearings. They are grease filled. I have found that keeping the under carriage clean of mud and rock helps. I try to wash at least once a week.

  14. #14Degolyerent2020-06-06 20:11

    That sounds good and that is the parts I believe I will go with. They have a waiting period right now because of virus.

  15. #15f311fr12020-06-07 08:26

    Check with Vine and Branch on the west coast, they may have some in stock. best way to contact them is through their web site contact e mail. Also check with track loader parts in GA.

  16. #16Nige2020-06-07 10:24

    For an O&M Manual, got to https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Put SEBU7732 in the box at the top and click Search. The illustration below should appear. That is the correct manual for all machines with Serial Numbers ZSA00001-Up.