Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Babbit counterweight stroke adjustment

KenQ ยท 2024-05-10 12:15

Anybody out there have experience with Allis screen with poured counterweight stroke adjustment?Babbitt weights are loose and require re pour.Looking for babbitt type and procedure

Replies5
  1. #1Coaldust2024-05-10 21:19

    Experience with Rabbit? Cocoa-Puff and Mr. Mercury Jr. approve this thread.

  2. #2Tugger22024-05-17 23:38

    I think he was meaning Babbit, not Wabbit. Id probably melt out the existing Babbit into some kind of crucible or a cup fabbed up from some pipe. A wire rope shop should be able to supply some extra Babitt to make for enough to repour,just need to seal the bottom of the holes up to contain it.

  3. #3Delmer2024-05-18 12:50

    Babbit is bearing material as far as I know. You sure that's not just lead? Probably doesn't matter one bit, just curious. Either is going to shrink a bit if you pour it, so it will have to be pressed into place. I'd try either a large shop press, or a tool of some sort to place on the "soft metal" and smack it with a sledge hammer. I wouldn't be brave enough to hit it directly, but that would work if you're not afraid of missing.

  4. #4Tugger22024-05-18 22:01

    I was thinking about shrinkage, i wonder if theres a ridge or some kind of deformation in those holes to grip the babbitt

  5. #5Cmark2024-05-18 22:40

    Shouldn't be too hard to pour new lead or babbit or whatever it is. The key will be giving them plenty of preheat, then wrapping them up so they cool slowly.