Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Baby Red

DKinWA ยท 2003-11-22 02:59

I thought I'd be the first one to break the ice and post a pic of the truck I purchased a little over a year ago. It's a 1998 F-800 with 8.3 cummins, 9 speed fuller and air brakes. The truck is a lot of fun to drive and the short wheel base let's me get into a lot of places the larger trucks can't. I swear this thing has a tighter turn radius than my F-250.

Replies9
  1. #1digger242j2003-11-22 08:10

    DK, The picture isn't showing. If it woudn't post becasue of the size or format, maybe one of us Mods can help adjust it. If it didn't attach because you missed something in the attaching process, again, maybe one of us can figure it out, so we can all get a look at your baby!

  2. #2DKinWA2003-11-22 22:09

    Another test pic baby red. I think I need a smiley that has it's fingers crossed

  3. #3BRL2003-11-24 20:28

    OK I got the picture moved over to here. Nice truck!

  4. #4Steve Frazier2003-11-24 23:02

    Very clean! How 'bout some specs?

  5. #5DKinWA2003-11-25 10:34

    Thanks Steve, it's a 1998 F-800, 9 speed fuller, 8.3 cummins turbocharged (230hp) and air brakes. When I bought it last year it had 24K miles on it and hadn't been used much, so it was in really good shape. It's a kick to drive and it has a really short turn radius. A lot of my customers like the truck because it's a lot lighter (no ruts in the lawn) and can put their dirt, bark, etc. closer to where they want it. Here's a pick after I got it lettered.

  6. #6cat3202003-11-25 18:23

    Very nice truck.It only had 24K miles wow what a find.Did it come they way we see it with the dump ? how much did it run?

  7. #7Steve Frazier2003-11-25 18:51

    Sure is clean for a 5 year old truck! I see your gross is 34,000, what's your tare weight? And is the body stainless?

  8. #8DKinWA2003-11-25 19:36

    There's a pretty lengthy story behind the truck, but I won't bore you with all the details. Essentially the owner and his wife bought it for their son-in-law to join the business in early 1999. Well, as things sometimes work out, he's no longer their son-in-law. The truck sat for almost a year before they decided to sell it, hence the low miles. There loss was definitely my gain. I paid 30K for it and the owner told me after I bought it that he paid over $60K for the truck and dump box installation. He even painted it red to match his Peterbilt dumptruck. The box is a 10' steel workman and it's one stout dump box. Even after their son-in-law pushed on the tailgate with their 320 cat to get it out of the mud, the box still holds water. The tare on the truck is just shy of 15,000 lbs, but I rarely pull out of the pit over 30,000 lbs. I'd haul more if I could, but the short box makes it difficult to get enough weight on the front axle. About the only time I get close to the 34,000 is when I've got a backhoe on the trailer.

  9. #9mikegamb2004-02-04 22:07

    thats one nice FORD.i haven't seen one that looks that good around here in years lol