Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back-blading?

Dig-UP ยท 2010-01-21 22:21

YouTube - Caterpillar grader 2008 140M Is this common practice with a grader? It just doesn't seem right..

Replies9
  1. #1monster truck2010-01-21 22:52

    Ive never pulled that much material on the back of the blade but back blading 5 feet or so and then continuing forward i a good way to keep the material even across your blade when your straight blading like that. It can also come in handy when working around curbs and drains and such but again I wouldnt try to pull that much material at once. I wouldnt want to get all that material on the rams and in the pins that are back there.

  2. #2bigrus2010-01-22 07:37

    Check out the operator wearing a tie (bl##dy sales rep that's why)

  3. #3ovrszd2010-01-22 08:20

    I'm like Monster, I often backdrag material a few feet working the ends of bridges or filling potholes. An old operator near me decided one time that he would do his entire township with his blade reversed. His idea was the roads just needed a little smoothing and no cutting. So he reversed his blade and graded 30 miles of crushed stone roadbeds. Ground the bolts and nuts right off the cutting edge fasteners. Ground the bottom edge of the moldboard off. What the H***!!!!

  4. #4385Diggin' Doug2010-01-23 21:33

    The only time I will backblade is around storm inlets @ curbline to eliminate hand work by the laborers.

  5. #5biggrader2010-01-23 21:42

    I will back drag a little bit but not that much. Try not to get the gravel up past the bottom slide strips let alone the top strips. Get gravel up into there and you will be changing them sooner than later.

  6. #6snapfruzen2010-01-28 18:21

    My view of this is, if it works do it. I decided years ago that neither my ego nor my grader were so fragile that they couldn't stand a little back blading. If you're really hooking into any loose material going forward it's going to spill over the top of the mold board anyway. Notice in the video that you can actually move more material in reverse because can't run away to the side as quick. Whatever is quicker and easier. Say you're running gravel between green curbs and a truckie leaves a big gap. Drag it back mate.

  7. #7w2bstoned2010-01-28 21:52

    interesting.... Looks alittle hard on the riggin tho

  8. #8Cat is ALL2010-01-29 00:20

    No sales rep I've ever seen. (camo pants lol) I can see smoothing out a small windrow or something delicate like that but not throwing gravel up into pins, and cylinders.

  9. #9Super Roel2010-01-29 04:41

    Back-blading . If you work with a automatic blade control and you turn your blade then the cables to your blade sensor got stuck and you have to remove the laser of the sonic masts . With regards , Roel .