Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

back hoe on skid steer

lostinfrance ยท 2007-04-22 16:51

I know of a mini backhoe that fits on one of these 25hp ish chinese tractors. It is currently pto driven, if ijust bypass the pto will it work from the third service?Its likely to go on an 1845c. Good idea or not?:beatsme

Replies16
  1. #1thejdman042007-04-23 13:09

    Depends on waht youa re doing. We run some excavaotrs on skid steers, Def need the extra counterweight. Still doesnt replace a true excavator, but if for occasional use etc it works.

  2. #2KSSS2007-04-24 00:49

    If you really want one I would bite the bullet and get one designed for a skid steer. Bradco and others make them for your machine. I would try before you buy however. They are IMHO for very occasional use only. You find them at auction fairly frequently at least in the US. I had a CASE D100XR for about 4 years I think. I am a CASE guy but that attachment was a POS. The D125 is a much better attachment than the D100XR, but it is still clumsy, as they all are.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2007-04-24 21:39

    I've got a Bradco 611 on my 248. It's a little inconvenient at times, but I sure have done a pile of work with it! I've dug stumps nearly 2' in diameter, installed septic tanks, set Sienna blocks for steps, dug utility lines, you name it. I most often use it digging sidewalks, that's my mainstay. Like I said, it's not all that convenient, but in the work I do I need the versatility of the skid steer.

  4. #4CT18fireman2007-04-24 22:09

    Cat makes one now that can be opertated from the skid steer seat. Makes it a little more convenient. Still not level with an excavator or even a backhoe IMO. Does makes it nice to only have one machine if you run a skid steer. I think a compact TLB might work as well. Other manufacturers might make a similiar unit for their machines I am not sure. I have only had the chance to see the CAT unit.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2007-04-24 23:11

    I've seen the Cat unit, they designed it for safety reasons so the operator stays in the cab. Visibility of the hoe suffers though, you have to look over the step to see. My Bradco has an operator platform directly above and behind the boom offering excellent visibility. My dealer was reluctant to sell me the Bradco because of Caterpillar's safety concerns, I told him if he didn't I'd buy it elsewhere.

  6. #6CT18fireman2007-04-25 08:06

    Steve I would agree on visibility. On benefit I saw was that it made moving the unit easier as you didn't have to climb our of the backhoe seat and back into the skid.

  7. #7KSSS2007-04-25 21:04

    The CAT backhoe attachment has zero visibility to the hole. The visibility is so bad I don't how anyone can really dig effectively with it to any depth. It certainly would be more convienient and more safe but, not very practical.

  8. #8CT18fireman2007-04-25 21:35

    I would agree. On another note and sorry to hijack thread, but Steve you mentioned using Sienna blocks for steps. I had never thought of that and neither had my local supplier, Beaver Brook in Danbury (they get product from Brewster). I would think it would work great as they have quite a bit of mass, kind of like setting granite scraps (with a clean corner) as steps. Any pictures of this? I did a quick look around Unilocks site but did not see anything. I like you have to work steps into almost every walk or patio we do.

  9. #9elkridge2009-04-01 08:59

    sounds like this might work good for clearing trees and debries etc.

  10. #10CEM2009-04-02 21:31

    As posted on an earlier thread there are two pictures of backhoes for skidsteers. I put a Gehl (Bradco)609. on my Gehl 4615 . I have dug quite a bit with it , now, and I just got through adding weights to the rear of my skidsteer, an hour ago. The 4615 is rated at 1500 lbs.And although I like the backhoe, it seemed to make my skidsteer just a little light on the front end. Im hoping that the weights will take care of the problem.

  11. #11TriHonu2009-04-06 22:33

    CEM - I have a 609 on a Bobcat 763. It is also has a 1500# ROC. Bradco states that you have to install the counter weight kit to put a 609 hoe on a 763. Mine also feels a little light in the rear with the backhoe attached. I picked up 150# of suitcase weights and still have to fab a couple of brackets to mount three 25#'s on each side. How much weight did you add and do you think it is enough? Thanks.

  12. #12CEM2009-04-07 13:39

    I made a bracket on the back door grille and put 6 tractor weights on it. It seems to have helped quite a bit. I have nt really set it down hill yet, but I think it is going to be ok

  13. #13mototim2009-04-08 08:02

    Hi guys, first post here for me. I just got a case 1845c, it's just for personal use so i was wanted to know what you guys thought of the Versatech back hoe attachment...i realize it doesn't compare to the ones that have been mentioned in this thread but would it work ok for some light trenching? Also is there a relief setting on the drive pump or is that internal...my machine is week on the right side drive and i.ve narrowed it down to the pump Cheers:drinkup Tim

  14. #14ReBob8082009-04-09 13:52

    Can't comment on the Versatech, but I've got a D125 on my 1845C and I use it every chance I get. It's a bit of a PITA climbing in and out every time you need to move the machine, but it actually DIGS.

  15. #15CEM2009-04-09 22:01

    I have the Gehl with T bar steering and I can steer my skidsteer from the seat of the hoe. Works pretty well

  16. #16Dwan Hall2009-04-10 01:30

    It may take me a bit but I will see if I can get some pictures of my 14' hoe on a 975 bobcat. I have made up some linkage to move the SS around from the hoe seat. Most defendant not an excavator but it got me around for 20 years without one.