Actually I have been in town all this time but in a rehab.As some of you knew I was diagnosed with the big "C" about three years ago (mm) and spent about 30 months in a rehab on my back so as a result of that and my illness I am now in a wheelchair but am learning to walk again.I have been home since the last day of May with echos of "Miracle Boy" ringing in my ears.They found a mass on my lower spine and dissolved it with radiation so between that and the chemo therapy I am still around. I am sure some of you will remember me and hopefully Lashlander and others will still be here to compare notes,it is good to be back.Ron G
RonG, Glad you are back you've been good almost as long as I've been here! As for learning to walk again, some guys I know have to do that every Monday morning after a long weekend! How about a picture of your new wheels?
Glad to here your moving ahead, I always fear that word, My daughter is walking now for about a week, made it across the kitchen last night in one journey, hopefully you will be back on your own to soon, best wishes and a Merry Christmas.
Things have been tough for you Ron, it must be credit to your robust mindset to cope with things as well as you have, its great to hear that you are making the effort to get back on "Track" with this forum, may I wish you all the things that are good for the years ahead, everyone likes a fighter its easy to fold when things start to stack up. "Well Done That Man" its the way we say it, again wishing you only good things to befall you. tctractors
Tony,I still contend that if I ever hit the lottery meeting you would be high on my bucket list of things to do.Thank you all for the kind comments and let there be no mistake here,I did not do this by myself.My lord and saviour had other plans for me and he,as usual,provided what I needed to carry out his plan. Walking is a challenge and something that we take for granted until we cannot.There is a lot to lose when you don't use it and the strength in your legs goes away and the older you get the more difficult it is to regain it. I have migrated to crutches from a walker and now forearm crutches and get around pretty good but I don't have much stamina as yet.It is great to be back and look forward to contribute as I can in the future.Ron G
Ron, its great to hear that your legs are building up on B.H.P. I can say that I did ask after you on this forum, it would seem that you just spun off the Radar, I will be posting some more snaps of rubbish that I get up to in the shop talk spot (Cat Spocket Removal) in the next few days, if there is anything that I could possibly do in any way to help you please ask, I can recomend this site to have a look at- bostonpowercat.com - you will see some of my antics in the rebuilding of a very early 8R D8 and some great Gun Smoke from a CAT 666 twin power, in the comming months there will be a few more big "Gun Smokers" put on the bostonpowercat.com site that are the only units in Europe, and boy it can pack the Beans. On a personal level I have been given 3 Christmas Gifts from other mechanics for I am told " Being Sound " this sort of means helping them out in the U.K. verb, I find this consideration shown to me as better than a Lottery Win as you cannot buy kindness like this, it has to be earned. tctractors
When I trained at Fort Leonard Wood at the US Army heavy equipment operators training school in 1960 they had two different machines to train on,the TD-18 and the D8 and I think it was an R model just like the one on the Boston Cat site.It has been said that a bad workman blames his tools but I saw no substitution there,you had just the tool for the job and it is a joy to watch you work.That injection pump is heavier then the engines on todays cars. I am on several bulletin boards and tried to notify everybody as I could but I was in pretty bad pain,I mean bad enough so that I could not ignore it and might have missed this board or forgot to hit send or some such thing but I have had a lot of opportunities to comment and make suggestions here and it would be too bad to drop out of site without saying something to somebody here.Steve Frazier has made a great contribution to the cause here and am proud to be a part of it. My oncologist put me on hospice with three months to live,that was back in January of 2012.Yup,Miracle Boy it is.Ron G
a resilience and toughness to be admired ron - the very best wishes for you on christmas day 2014
Good job RonG ! You are a tough man and a good head on your shoulders. I am not on here as much as I would like to be in the last few years but I remember you well. I just looked and I have been hanging on this page for 9yrs. Happy Holidays.
Keep fighting the good fight. Merry Christmas.
Ron, whether in a wheelchair, on crutches, or walking with a cane, matters not to me, I'm just glad you're still with us, and I pray that God grants you many more years with us. Godspeed brother. :drinkup
Thank you all again for the kind words,Dig Dug,as you remember ,I am a Maine boy too originally and remember you well. Just getting back in the loop here gives me the incentive to keep going........sometimes I wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me.Did I really do all this stuff that I've been talking about?It sure seems that way.lol.RonG
Keep on fighting! I can relate to the learning to walk again all too well. Docs told my wife I would be lucky to live 6 months and that was over 7 years ago. It ain't always fun but I refuse to give up. I am lucky I have some good Amish neighbors and their boys help me with things that I am physically unable to do. Glad to see you back and posting again. Bill
Hey Ron, best wishes.
Thanks Kent,good to see that you are still around too.I still go to your website from time to time.Ron G
Good too see you're back on here BROTHER. DaveG
Happy New year to you and yours Dave,nice to see that you still get on here,I figured that you were so busy with that new tractor that you didn't get online much any more.Talk soon,Ron G
Ron, I didn't realise you were going through all that last year. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Our God is good, as I found out at the end of my own mother's battle last year.
You're Right. Been very busy cutting Oak Logs on this new property This Rig pulls almost as good as a small skidder. DaveG
I've missed this thread up until now, and I'm glad your back as well Ron! Good to hear you kicked the big C's ass. Nearly all my relatives have been affected by it, I cross my fingers every day. We all enjoy your posts, it's great you're able to continue!
Ron G. Good to meet you. I'm kinda new here but its always good to hear a success story. Cheers, have a good day.
Thank you all for the kind words,I am a miracle no doubt.I am having back problems as my oncologist said I would if I kept putting on weight so I have cut back on my intake and am looking to lose maybe one pound a week or so but is seems to be going slowly and it is tough to cut back when you have been eating institutional groceries for a few years and can finally have even what's on sale is better than the slop I am used to in funny farm.I renamed the place to ****** Kavorkian,can't say the first name at the risk of being accused of slander but it is rare that anyone ever leaves there alive it seems. Brother,it looks like you might be over on axle weight there,that 550 might be huffing a little?That is nice looking wood though. Are you going to saw it yourself?Have you got the mill set up yet?I think you need to get that new bride (As TCtractors says) out there shooting some videos of your operation.Ron G
that 550 can take a lot more. I had about 13,000 on, I can legally carry 16,500 and I've had about 18,000 on it before. Sawmill not set up yet, I've got to do some land clearing too make a place for it. I'm hauling these logs to a yard about 14-miles away and selling them. DaveG
I don't doubt that the truck will carry the weight but if you were checked for weight on each axle it looks like you would be light on the front but the duals seem like they might be over a bit.This blizzard will keep you busy I'll bet.Ron G
Yup, It might be over on unbalanced type weight. But around here the creeper cops seldom stop any truck under 2-ton. I'm 1.5 ton This Blizzard sucks, don't know for sure but looks like 18" out there. The only good thing is the wind has been strong so not much snow hanging on fir tree limbs too go down your neck when cutting DaveG