Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back Issues.. you know

thepumpguysc ยท 2016-05-18 21:55

Hi guys,, Just wanted to give you folks an update on my ongoing back problems.. I went to a "back cracker" that was recommended to me.. He took some x-rays.. and naturally had to read them before he touched me.. Came back the next day.. he showed me CLEAR AS DAY.. what the problem was.. He popped my neck.. I don't need my glasses anymore.. Bi foculs are a dif story.. Lol Layed me down and said.. 1 leg is 1" shorter than the other.!! That was the surgery side.. He adjusted my pelvis.. it popped into place.. I went from eating 12-16 advil aday + oxy's.. to 0000000 I feel like a new man.!!!! The wife asked me this morning>> how do you feel?? I started crying.. I didn't know what to say?? I feel great!!! I didn't know how to act.. without pain every day for the last year + 1 month... Where most folks get up and head to the bathroom in the morning>> I would wake up and grab a handful of advil.. JUST SO I could get up and go to the bathroom.. It was "ALMOST" as good as "gettin' some".. If it lasts to the weekend.. she better watch out.. Lol

Replies26
  1. #1oceanobob2016-05-18 22:18

    After being told to see a chiro (and with a rec for a certain one), I went there w some leg pain and other issues and the guy has kept me going for quite a few years...fixed up knee aches, tingly down arm while typing, of course the back/leg thing, etc etc. Dont forget to include accupuncture in your list of go to folks. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-05-18 22:26

    Chiros/Osteopaths are wonderful... my brother has been a Licensed Chiropractor for over thirty years and I've seen him do some pretty amazing things. Glad you found a good one and had a good outcome! Ease into it, your body was out of whack for a long time it sounds like and it will likely want to wander back in that direction for a time, until it gets used to being aligned like it's supposed to be. Cheers :drinkup

  3. #3Twisted2016-05-18 22:48

    The good ones are AMAZING. The poor ones do just enough and want you to keep coming back. I went to a number of different crackers over the years with poor to okay results. Many trips back, x-rays, blah blah. I finally found a good one. One visit whips me right into shape. I go maybe three visits a year now when needed. Great guy that doesn't do the insurance bs. Toss him a check for $35 and feel great until I screw myself up again.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-05-18 22:53

    Funny you mention accupuncture. My wife has been having bad migraine headaches for 5 years. Nothing to date has worked to give her relief for long. In two weeks she's going to the VA for accupuncture. Yup, The Veterans Administration now does accupuncture at our VA hospital. Shes' excited about it. I hope it works.

  5. #5willie592016-05-18 23:09

    Good to hear the news pumpguy, consider us (dare I say this) old guys ain't much different than a car that's been in a couple of ding dang bang ups during its life, sometimes the frame alignment shop is required to put us back to going straight down the road. :drinkup

  6. #6pajibson2016-05-19 08:39

    Amen, glad to hear it pumpguy. My Chiro is the only reason I can walk. Funny thing, I grew up in one of those families that considers it quackery. Ex wife's uncle is a chiropractor and when I got so bad I couldn't hardly walk he fixed me up. Big believer now.

  7. #7hetkind2016-05-19 08:46

    I have personally found that the use of foam roller under the lower back as an exercise technique, plus other core strengthening exercises with a personal trainer, and losing 30lbs has really helped my lower back issues. But whatever works to avoid surgery is a positive. Glad the Chiro is working for you!!! Howard

  8. #8thepumpguysc2016-05-19 20:11

    Thanks Guys.. I actually signed up for his "class's and PT".. gonna cost me out the ars but it beats the 100K for another surgery.. I actually went to my primary doc today for my 4 month blood work.. and told her what went on and what had happened.. She called me everything but a white man!!! went on for about a 1/2 hr about what quacks they were and bla bla bla.. this and that. I felt like a child getting scolded.. LOL.. THEN.. I remembered.. I'm over 50 years old and I"M payin YOUR BILL.. I lit into her ars like nobodys business.!! The proof is in the puddin' SISTER!! I told her.. I can stand up and do cartwheels if you want me too..?? Then it was excuses after excuses.. some are good and most are bad.. bla bla bla.. She told me she had a patient that went to one and the chiro cracked his neck and shot a blood clot to his brain and he had a stroke and now she's treating him for that.. I said.. was he a patient before he went.?? You should have seen the look on her face.!!! I read the look.. and said.. MAYBE you should have treated the cause instead of the symptoms?? It got "alittle" cold after that.. Lol I'll bet ANYONE ON THIS BOARD.. 100.00.. my blood work comes back.. BAD AS H*LL .. Gonna have to take this pill and that pill.. just because I pis*ed her off.. We'll see in 2 weeks.. I'll keep you posted..

  9. #9Twisted2016-05-19 21:27

    We see it in every occupation. Medicine is very profitable and also very competitive. Good luck on your healing.

  10. #10Bumpsteer2016-05-19 22:23

    Been going to chiro for years, I have self-destructive tendencies.......bacically, I'm rough on my body. LOML, says I'm getting old, I say tough ****, my body needs to step up to what my brain tells it to do. One of my cousins is a chiro.......damn, what a touch she has, sadly shes 2 hours away. Had family gathering a while back, she came up behind me, put her hand on my shoulder.....dang, I'm glad to see you....sorry, I didn't bring my table....no problem, just my neck....SNAP!....thank you. Ed

  11. #11hetkind2016-05-20 07:32

    I think it is time for you to find a new primary care provider...and I don't see a primary care wasting 30 minutes on a rant about chiros...the local med school (MD not DO) teaches Chiro techniques as part of general medicine. I know a number of physicians and psychiatrists who use chiros and message therapists BEFORE going to the orthopods. One the other hand, my elbow feels about wonky after spending the afternoon with a four pound hammer! Off to visit the gas man after finding my "spare" tank of welding 02 to be empty. Howard

  12. #12Truck Shop2016-05-20 07:47

    Chiro's can be good. But my lower back got to the point I was looking at living in a wheel chair. I had surgery 4-14-14-four discs removed L2 thru sacrum fused, two rods ten mounts and ten screws. I was on the table 7 1/2 hours-walked that night. Surgery was the only thing left for me. I went back to work 9-15-14 and have done real well since. I just watch what I do at work. My mobility is better than before surgery. Truck Shop

  13. #13thepumpguysc2016-05-21 05:58

    Day 4 and still pain free.. I did sneak 3 advil on Friday afternoon on account of hoisting around a 70 lb pump all day Thursday.. But I feel so darn good, I'm heading into work ON A SATURDAY!!! I haven't worked on a Saturday in YEARS.. normally, I cant get off the couch after working all week..

  14. #1451cub2016-05-21 06:40

    Good to hear you're doing so much better pumpguy. You guys are really giving me something to think about here. Please, please, check yourselves well for ticks. Little buggers can change your life

  15. #15mitch5042016-05-21 09:15

    Man, I'm glad you finally got some relief!!! A good Chiropractor helped me some, after a couple of bad ones just annoyed me. I'm going under the knife on 6/13. NOT the outfit you went to. A neurosurgery professor at MUSC who I wanted to perform the surgery, and the neurosurgeon at Roper who my insurance will pay, both said the same thing. They're going to take a high-dollar version of a die grinder and just grind a little bone off the bottom of the vertebra to make more room for the nerve. I hope to feel better a couple weeks post-surgery than I have in 7 years. Once again, I'm glad you got some relief, your story and another were making me nervous. I hope you continue to be well, Mitch

  16. #16d9gdon2016-05-21 09:26

    That's too much weight for your back, better learn new ways or you'll be back where you started. I dislocated my shoulder a couple of years ago so I know what you mean when you feel it pop back into place, instant pain relief!

  17. #17Truck Shop2016-07-01 21:45

    I debated about posting this pic or X-ray of my own iron. The iron I carry in my lower back. The doc who did the work really did a fine job. Just the same I wish to hell it wasn't there. Just like all of you folks I have 44 years of rough work. I was lucky in the fact that something could be done for me. Not all people with spine defects can be operated on. I put up with terrible lower back pain for twenty plus years, denied by insurance three times. I cringe when when I hear someone in agony with back pain. So folks take a good look below and the next time your back gives a twitch or sudden ache, do yourself a favor back off and take a long brake, as long as it takes. No job or boss crying that it has to be done now is worth it. I still work, and the job is done when I say it is. No one pushes me not any more.

  18. #18thepumpguysc2016-07-02 07:29

    WOW.. that's looks like it HURT.. I haven't posted for awhile about mine cuz theres nothing new.. I've been generally pain free after visiting the "back cracker".. I still have some nerve pain but I can function normally and walk without a limp.. I find it odd that an insurance co WILL PAY for a 100,000.00 operation that doesn't work but WONT PAY for a 50.00 adjustment that does.. go figure that one..

  19. #19StanRUS2016-07-02 12:51

    New article about SCI http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/tu...-injuries-better-drugssurgery-review-suggests Full pdf available free download http://www.hindawi.com/journals/nri/2016/9468193/

  20. #20Dickjr.2016-07-02 17:55

    I had forgotten about your back issues. I'm sort of in the same boat currently. I am having chronic knee pain. It was rough just going to the bathroom and my crapper is 15' from my bed. Got the steroid shots , steroid packs and cortisone shots. Next day was unbelievable difference. She has me taking naproxen ( aleve) script strength . It makes a noticeable difference in pain and is easy on the liver ( I like beer ) ( a lot ). I can say that pain is bad and I figure yours was bad as well. My knee felt like they took a paslode nail gun and shot it into me knee cap. My doc says I may need knee replacement , I'm 42. I do know this after the shots I was a working fool for about 1 1.5 weeks . I happen to see a guy complaining the other day in doc office , had on a pair of red wings boots that looked two days old. Must have been a prop.

  21. #21mitch5042016-07-02 21:42

    Just a little update on mine, had the surgery on mine on the 13th; saw the surgeon yesterday, he said it is healing well, and I am released to do anything thing that doesn't hurt. I have been back at work for 2 weeks, but being very careful. I still can't sit square in a chair or truck seat, just because the area is tender, but I am much better than before the surgery. I ended up with a 4" cut on my back, but haven't taken any pain meds but Ibuprofen since I went back to work. I felt a lot better once I started moving and doing distracting things.

  22. #22thepumpguysc2016-07-03 07:37

    That's great news Mitch.. I was thinking about checking in with you but didn't wanna bug ya..

  23. #23Truck Shop2016-07-04 07:57

    If the pain is located in or just below the knee at your age, and this is from my own experience. The discs at L2 and L3 are probably prolapsed or herniated and pushing on the spinal cord. I'm not a neurosurgeon, but that pain is associated with spinal problems also. I was so bad it felt like someone had hit my knees and shins with a bat. My advise is get another opinion. Sorry guys but the pain meds are only masking a major problem. There are alot of quacks for doctors out there. The spine area is nothing to mess around with. Do some careful checking on your neurosurgeon, I got two opinions before surgery. This is all IMO. Truck Shop

  24. #24Dickjr.2016-07-04 13:04

    Good advice , I know when they juice it with steroids and I feel better able to move without pain its amazing how much I can get done in a days time.

  25. #25mitch5042016-07-04 13:25

    According to both of the neurosurgeons I saw, if the steroids injected at the spot helps, they are hitting the trouble spot. That said, the worst pain I got with my spinal problem was at and just below my knees. When they injected the steroids into my spinal canal, I felt like a new man, but just for a few days. My back never hurt before the surgery, but my legs hurt terribly, and would go numb and weak if I tried to walk 100'. Now, my legs are great, but my lower back hurts bad after working 4 or 5 hours. The surgeon is sure that'll go away as it heals.

  26. #26Dickjr.2016-07-04 22:32

    This is good info , I like the feeling of being able to get and go. Some of the most productive work I done was on weekends when I was left alone. Now its like I can't wait for the weekend to get a break. Mitch , I may not have done as much work as you or others but I know I have worked more than some.